The Vice President, Mahamudu Bawumia, has lost his mother, Hajia Mariama Bawumia.
Joy News gather that the octogenarian, who died two days from her 82nd birthday, had been unwell for some time and was hospitalised.
Announcing the sad passing of the woman he affectionately calls Maame, Dr Bawumia said, “It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my beloved mother, Hajia Mariama Bawumia.”
“Hajia Mariama passed away peacefully this morning in Accra. Burial is scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, September 14, 2021, in Walewale.”
The Kpasenkpe native, was one of the first northern female students to have gained admission into the Wesley Girls High School in Cape Coast, in the Central Region.
Bawumia celebrates octogenarian mother
The Vice President described his mother as, “caring and supportive” when she celebrated her 80th birthday in 2019.
“Happy 80th birthday to my lovely mum, Hajia Mariama Bawumia (alias Maame). I always thank the Almighty God for giving me such a caring and supportive mother. She has always been there for us. The pillar. I am who I am today because of the foundation she and my late father laid for me. I cannot thank her enough.
“Maame still plays a pivotal role in my life. Her insights are piercing. A mother’s love is truly special. Happy birthday Maame, from all your children and me. We love you so much. May Allah grant you a long life and good health,” Dr Bawumia wrote.
There have been numerous tributes and messages of condolence since the death of Hajia Mariama was announced.
Former President John Dramani Mahama has commiserated with the family, praying that “Allah grant her a peaceful rest.”
- Bongo scandal: Assembly withdraws ¢187k from contractor’s bank account without permission
- Intelligence Bureau arrests man with 656 ATM cards at KIA
- ARB Apex Bank investigates how Bongo Assembly withdrew money from account without owner’s approval
- Police to amend charges against Rev. Owusu Bempah and four others
- Dortmund’s Otto Addo to be appointed Black Stars assistant coach
- Rwandan court finds ‘Hotel Rwanda’ film hero guilty in terrorism case
- Milovan Rajevac announcement imminent after government, GFA execs approval
- Why single people smell different
- ‘Sometimes players don’t like it’ – Pochettino reacts to subbing off Messi
- Flower Pot to Motorway to experience interruption in traffic flow for 1 month
‘We’re tired of directionless leadership’ – #FixTheCountry protester
Government has not given up on electing MMDCEs on partisan lines – Dan Botwe
Ghanaians celebrate first president with #Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Day
Ashantigold President and CEO charged for match manipulation
Canada election: Trudeau stays in power but Liberals fall short of majority
Coup attempt fails in Sudan – State media
Today’s front pages: 21st September 2021
Covid-19: GHS records 7 more deaths
Africa needs effective functioning of Regional Economic Communities to achieve desired outcomes of AfCFTA – Bawumia
MPs, Samia Nkrumah, Obaapa Christy, others mourn with Jomoro MP
Former Hearts of Oak defender passes on
Akufo-Addo will inaugurate SALL district assembly in a matter of weeks – Dan Botwe
Ghana is endowed with Bamboo resources but utilization is at snail’s pace – Envirotech Bamboo CEO
MMDCEs appointment: There is no basis or justification for disturbances – Dan Botwe
Agriculture and education will be a priority when approved – Tain DCE nominee