Dancehall artiste Samini has appealed to government to grant him licence to grow marijuana in the country.
Samini asked government to install proper mechanisms for marijuana to be used as a commercial product instead of criminalizing its usage.
The multiple award-winning artiste made this comment in an interview on Okay FM.
He recounted some benefits of marijuana to national development saying when it is legalized and farmers like himself are given the necessary assistance to grow the product, it would help to generate revenues for the country.
"I am a farmer. I need licence to grow wee and export it to the industries that use wee for medicinal purposes and every other thing important apart from smoking. If I get the licence to grow wee, I'll supply to the medical industry, the oil industry…the paper industry, you know different [different] industries which use marijuana as raw materials as base for what they produce", Samini said.
Samini, who has released his latest hit single "Obaa", was emphatic that he is against the smoking of marijuana or the usage of it for recreational purposes but "you should allow farmers to grow because every country in the world has what is viable in the soil…Other places also grow other things as well as wee and sell to other places which don't grow but it needs it for jeans, paper, oil and soap production, and every other thing apart from smoking".
He added he will append his signature to petition Parliament to make the farming of marijuana for commercial use lawful in the country.
Watch video below:
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- Funny Face arrested after threatening to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- I no longer use a mobile phone – Kwabena Kwabena
FESPACO 2021: African film lovers come together in Ouagadougou
ECG installs smart prepaid meters at Agbogbloshie market
Government backtracks on ‘No Ghana Card, No Salary’ directive to public sector workers
Samuel Dowuona: Extra spectrum; bridging data capacity gap in Digital Ghana
Salah is extraordinary, says Simeone as his Atletico side prepare for Liverpool
Photos: Tema Central sewerage system collapse exposes residents to health hazard
ECG to disconnect GBC, Kumasi International Airport over debt
NBA preview: All you need to know ahead of the 75th anniversary season
Pastor whose prophesy triggered Shatta Wale’s fake shooting fiasco arrested
Kanye West officially changes his name to Ye
Forget Kanye West, he’s now officially ‘Ye’
Woman who butchered her 2-year-old son to undergo psychiatric examinations
Queen mother appeals to Akufo-Addo to make definite pronouncement on LGBTQ+
Wydad to play Hearts behind closed doors
Awako not happy at Hearts, I want to bring him back – Annor Walker