A blind man who could not stand the fact that his wife had divorced him has committed suicide.
Mobila Yanam, believed to be in his 40s, had made two earlier attempts to commit suicide. In the first attempt three years ago, he is alleged to have drunk some chemicals.
After he received treatment at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), Yanam was made to sign an undertaking that he would not attempt suicide again.
Notwithstanding his pledge, Yanam, who had lived in the area behind the Ridge Police Station close to the ECG Sub-station in Kumasi for years, last Sunday morning hanged himself on a mango tree with a piece of cloth.
According to his brother, Bobila Yanam, the deceased’s second attempt at suicide occurred when quarrels ensued between him and his wife as a result of accusations and counter-accusations of infidelity.
It eventually culminated in the two separating about four years ago.
He said the problems led to the wife leaving for her hometown with one of their children, while Yanam stayed with the other child.
Bobila noted that about three years ago, his late brother drunk a poisonous substance, but luckily some neighbours rushed him to hospital, after which he was made to sign a bond to be of good behaviour.
He said months after that treatment, his late brother broke the bond and attempted suicide for the second time.
He took in some unknown substances and was rushed to KATH.The doctors did their best to save his life but he lost his sight the process.
Bobila said his deceased brother was counselled not to attempt suicide again.
Last Sunday, Bobila said, he went to his brother’s house, as usual, to give him money for his upkeep but did not meet
He later found the lifeless body of his brother hanging on a mango tree naked.
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- Royal Choice Academy wins Jan Binder green and sanitation contest for basic schools
- Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
- Ghana will go down the drain should 2023 budget be delayed – Deputy Finance Minister warns
- Peace Council moves to address allegations of ethnic identity-based discrimination, marginalization by Ewes
- Is it unrealistic to expect that my spouse’s life revolves around me?
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Pork prices up by 40% in three months
- 2022 World Cup: Ghana will not be seeking revenge against Uruguay – Otto Addo
- Increasing VAT rate was a lazy approach to burden faithful few – Bokpin
- ACCE charges new inductees to exude professionalism
- Afrobarometer receives major boost with 6m grant from Sweden
- Cement Producers bewail fall in demand due to high cost of production
- EOCO recovers over ¢27m crime monies in 10 months
- Throw in the towel; I’ll win this election hands down – Ofosu Ampofo tells Asiedu Nketia
- A draw could be good for us but we want to win – Otto Addo on Uruguay clash