Audio By Carbonatix
The Volta Regional Directorate of Electoral Commission (EC) has recorded a total of 808 applicants, whose registration has been challenged, seven days into the national exercise.
They were alleged to be either minors or foreigners.
Mr Eric Dzakpasu, Regional Director of EC, revealed this to the Ghana News Agency during a visit to the registration centre on Tuesday.
He said a total of 14,888 new voters in the Region were registered within one week of the limited voter registration exercise.
He indicated that apart from the initial two days of glitches of dysfunctional kits and network challenges, all had been smooth.
The Director disclosed that all registration centres, including the mobile teams, had been equipped with generators and internet turbo routers to facilitate the exercise.
Festus Agbolosu, the New Patriotic Party's agent at the centre, commended the Electoral Commission for the peaceful nature it had conducted the exercise so far.
He urged the qualified citizens to participate in the exercise to get the card so they could vote for the party come December 7.
He said the NPP party had done a lot for the country and should be allowed to continue to transform the country.
In related news, some 1,706 new voters were captured in the Ho Municipality of the Volta Region within the same period.
The number comprises 631 males and 1,075 females with 17 registrants having their applications challenged on the grounds of either being foreigners or minors.
Nana Oduro Numapau, Ho Municipal Director of the Electoral Commission (EC), disclosed this to the Ghana News Agency during a visit to the register centre on Tuesday to observe the exercise.
The Director said except the network difficulties they faced at the start of the exercise, the process had been smooth and without a hitch.
Nana Oduro advised all eligible persons to take advantage of the opportunity to obtain a voter card to participate in the next elections and any other electoral activities in the country.
Meanwhile, at the time GNA visited the centre, a significant number of students from some second-cycle institutions had flocked to the EC's office to have their names added to the voter list.
Close to 100 students from OLA Senior High School and and Wallace Academy Senior High School were seen at the centre in queue waiting patiently to go through the process to acquire the voter card.
Their delighted expressions indicate that they were pleased to have turned 18 years old, which made them eligible to apply for a card that would allow them to vote in national elections.
After getting their cards, a few students, who spoke with the GNA, expressed happiness, describing the process as fast and smooth.
Latest Stories
-
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
6 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
18 minutes -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
2 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours