Audio By Carbonatix
President of the Ghana Paralympic Committee, Samson Deen, has explained that the Amputee Football team was left with no choice but to meet former President John Mahama after Sports Minister Mustapha Ussif cancelled their scheduled visit on Wednesday, June 12, 2024.
This explanation comes in response to the controversy surrounding the team's acceptance of a $10,000 donation from John Mahama before meeting with the Sports Minister on Friday June 14, 2024.
"Upon arrival after winning the Amputee Africa Cup of Nations (AAFCON) trophy, the Paralympic team wrote to the Minister on May 31, 2024, requesting to pay a courtesy call and present the trophy, medals, and awards won by the players," Deen stated via JoySports Link on Joy FM
The team was initially set to meet with the Minister before visiting former President John Mahama, who had also expressed interest in meeting the team. However, on the day of the scheduled visit, the Minister cancelled, leaving the team with no option but to proceed to meet Mahama.
"It was impossible to say no to the former President after the Minister cancelled the visit on Wednesday," Deen said.
"We had to move to the former President's office because the players had already been informed two weeks ago that the former President wanted to make a donation to them."
Deen added, "I had initially denied them the opportunity to go there first, but on this day (Wednesday, June 12, 2024), there was no way I could say no again because the players were all at the office. On Wednesday, the media and everyone were ready to move to the ministry, and we had a cancellation of the visit. At this time, it was very difficult for anybody to say no; they were not supposed to go to the former President."
Latest Stories
-
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
4 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
4 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
5 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
5 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
6 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
6 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
6 hours
