A Wenchi High Court has thrown out a petition against New Patriotic Party (NPP) legislator in the Techiman South 2020 election.
The petitioner was seeking the nullification of the poll which saw the NPP candidate, Martin Agyei Mensah Korsah, emerge victorious.
But at the hearing Wednesday, the court explained that the NDC 2020 Parliamentary candidate, Christopher Bayere, who was pursuing the matter, failed to prove the burden of petitioning.
The court was attended by some leaders of the NDC including General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia.
He was sighted leaving the court premises a few minutes before the judgement.
The NDC Parliamentary candidate had contested the EC’s verdict which gave the NPP’s candidate victory with 49,682 votes representing 50.2 percent of the total valid votes cast, whilst the NDC’s candidate had 49,205 votes representing 49.8 percent of the total valid votes cast.
The NDC Parliamentary candidate insisted that the figures were not a true reflection of the election.
According to him, per the pink sheets of the NDC agents at each of the 267 polling stations, he garnered 50,306 votes in the Parliamentary election whilst the 1st Respondent polled 50,013 votes.
Electoral Commission fined in 2021
In August 2021, the Electoral Commission of Ghana was fined GH¢4,000 by the court after the Court refused to grant the EC’s request for a stay of proceedings in the dispute on July 30, 2021.
The EC’s application for a stay of proceedings was to enable it to file a motion to challenge the ruling of the Court at its previous sitting, when it granted the petitioner a motion to amend the title of the writ.
TCounsel for the EC, Emmanuel Addae said the stay of proceedings was to enable him to file supplementary statements in support of the application filed by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) candidate, Mr Christopher Beyere Baasongti.
However, reacting to the EC’s stay of proceedings, the Counsel for the petitioner, Justin Teriwajah argued that the motion was frivolous and unnecessarily geared towards delaying the adjudication of the case.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- Full text: Finance Minister’s speech on DDEP deadline eve
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- College head found dead with husband and daughter
- Gospel artiste OJ Blaq wants to be featured on secular concerts
- We need reduction in appointees, not reshuffle – Dr Amoako Baah tells Akufo-Addo
- Economist advises individual bondholders not to invest in DDEP
- My dad, Culture, never died on stage in Germany – Kenyatta Hill
- 3 persons remanded over alleged kidnapping
- 28 of 47 students of Ejuraman Anglican SHS discharged from Hospital
- I’m your biggest fan – DJ Khaled tells Tems
- Akufo-Addo nominates Abetifi MP for Agric Ministry
- Bole: Family of murdered herdsman demand justice, appeals to CJ
- Death in a military operation is not unexpected – Security Analyst on Bawku killings
- Tems speaks on Grammy win, working with Future, Drake, others
- Bank manager arrested for ‘hoarding’ new Nigerian notes
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Kenyan school shaves off female students’ long hair
- Assayer in court over $18m gold scam