Audio By Carbonatix
Ivory Coast's Didier Drogba has been given clearance to wear a protective cast on his broken right arm in Tuesday's game against Portugal.
Football's world governing body Fifa made the decision prior to the first Group G match of the World Cup.
The Chelsea striker's involvement in South Africa had been in doubt after suffering the injury in a friendly against Japan on 4 June.
Fifa said that Tuesday's referee Jorge Larrionda had permitted the cast.
The organisation's head of media Nicolas Maingot added: "The cast has been seen by the Portuguese delegation at Monday's match co-ordination meeting."
"Everybody knows what Drogba is for Chelsea and for us - he's a great player," said Ivory Coast coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.
He added: "We have a lot of good players who are strong and have good technique.
"We're in a difficult group with Portugal, Brazil and North Korea, but the boys are working very hard."
The 32-year-old required surgery after fracturing his arm in Sion, Switzerland, in a collision with Japan defender Marcus Tulio Tanaka - three minutes after the forward had opened the scoring with a 13th-minute deflected free-kick.
Afterwards, Eriksson refused to blame Tanaka for the incident.
"It was unlucky," the 62-year-old former England boss said at the time.
"It wasn't bad or stupid. He didn't want to hurt anyone. Football is a game of contact."
At the 1970 World Cup, Germany defender Franz Beckenbauer wore a sling in the semi-final against Italy having dislocated his shoulder during the match, while England striker Gary Lineker sported a cast to protect a broken wrist during the 1986 competition.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
31 seconds -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
55 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
56 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
1 hour -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
2 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
2 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
2 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
2 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
2 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
2 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
3 hours
