Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's charitable foundation has been ordered by New York's attorney general to stop fundraising in the state.
Prosecutors issued a "notice of violation" after determining the foundation had no proper registration.
The notice directs the Trump foundation to "immediately cease soliciting contributions or engaging in other fundraising activities in New York".
The foundation has relied on donations from others since 2008, records show.
James Sheehan, head of the attorney general's charities bureau, sent the letter to the foundation on Friday, according to a copy provided by press office of state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.
The foundation had neglected to register under article 7A of New York's Executive Law, which is required for any charity soliciting more than $25,000 (£19,440) a year.
"While we remain very concerned about the political motives behind AG Schneiderman's investigation, the Trump Foundation nevertheless intends to co-operate fully with the investigation," Hope Hicks, Mr Trump's spokeswoman, said in a statement.
"Because this is an ongoing legal matter, the Trump Foundation will not comment further at this time."
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Obamacare: Texas court rules key health law is unconstitutional
- 'Miracle' six-day-old baby survives Ebola
- Brexit: EU says no to May on renegotiating deal
- US eyes competition with new Africa policy
- US: Chinia, Russia ‘corrupt’ in Africa
- South Africa court orders ex-president to pay his legal fees
- Trump: 'I never directed Michael Cohen to break the law'
- DR Congo poll: Blaze hits electoral depot as tense vote nears
- 9 out of 10 Africans unqualified for the Jobs they apply to
- Theresa May to join EU summit after surviving confidence vote
- Tanzania to build dam at heritage site
- Theresa May to face leadership challenge
- Senior citizens arrested after 'large amount of cocaine' found stashed on cruise ship
- Mozambique busts '30,000 ghost workers'
- Two nuns admit embezzling cash for Vegas gambling trips