Oliveira, who is a tour guide in Sal, Cape Verde, is fairly used to the mistaken identity by now. “Ever since Barack Obama was made president I have had people stopping me to tell me I look like him, so it has been happening for almost 10 years now,” he said. “Some people even ask me if I am his brother.”
Because of his job, Oliveira is constantly meeting new people, but the recognition and picture opportunities don’t bother him in the least.
“I work as a tour guide so I am always meeting new people and their reaction is always the same. As soon as they see me they say: ‘Oh my God, you look just like Obama!’” he explained. “I find it very funny and I don’t mind posing for photographs with people. I have at least 15 photographs and selfies taken every day.”
Oliveira is flattered by the comparisons not only because “President Obama is a good man” but also because “it is also good for business.”
As to whether or not Oliveira would take his impression professionally, he said, “I have never thought about working as an Obama lookalike before, but maybe I would if given the opportunity. If it was an honest and respectful job that allowed me to support my family I would think about it.”
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Jamal Khashoggi: CIA 'blames Saudi prince for murder'
- Cape Town pours alcohol down the drain
- At least 42 killed in Zimbabwe bus fire
- Symbolic funeral services for murdered Jamal Khashoggi
- US to cut Africom troops amid focus on Russia and China
- Trump ordered to restore CNN reporter Jim Acosta's access
- Trump attacks Mueller's Russia inquiry as 'absolutely nuts'
- Carmakers lure ride-hailer, delivery drivers in Africa
- White House aide Mira Ricardel removed after Melania Trump row
- Nigeria: Biafra secessionist leader 'must appear in court'
- Lion Air crash: Victim's fiancée takes wedding photos alone
- UK closer to delivering Brexit - May
- UN lifts nine-year Eritrea sanctions
- South Africa minister resigns weeks after sex video scandal
- Brexit: Theresa May to face cabinet showdown over deal