A driver has ploughed into a group of pedestrians near the French city of Toulouse, injuring three Chinese exchange students.
A 23-year-old woman was seriously injured, and two men aged 22 and 23 were also hurt, police said.
The incident occurred outside a college in the suburb of Blagnac.
The 28-year-old driver "purposefully hit" the group on a crosswalk, Toulouse prosecutor Pierre-Yves Couilleau said.
The victims are students at the ICD-Toulouse International Business School. The woman's life is not in danger, police said.
The driver was arrested immediately afterwards. Police said he had several previous minor convictions, some drugs-related.
Unconfirmed reports say he had a history of mental illness including acute schizophrenia. La Dépêche du Midi newspaper quoted him as telling police he had heard voices telling him to harm someone.
Mr Couilleau visited the scene of the accident and said there was no suggestion the incident was an act of terrorism.
"What matters in this case is the psychiatric profile of the person," he said.
The man "had been planning this act for a month", Mr Couilleau added.
Toulouse Mayor Jean-Luc Moudenc tweeted (in French): "Very shocked by the aggression towards the students in Blagnac. We offer all our support to them and their loved ones."
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Mexican drug lord El Chapo gets life in prison
- Africans 'twice as likely to be refused a UK visa'
- Tom Steyer: Trump 'has met' criteria for impeachment
- US House votes to condemn Trump's attacks on congresswomen
- Zuma says he received death threat after commission testimony
- I am not a racist - Trump insists
- Turkish sailors held hostage off Nigeria coast
- Shoppers find drug stash in their soap powder box
- Trump tweet row: Don't take the bait, congresswomen say
- WHO on high alert on possible Ebola outbreak
- May condemns Trump's 'go home' remark to congresswomen
- Zuma denies being 'king of corrupt people'
- Trump to congresswoman of colour: Leave the US
- Harrowing heroin addiction grips South Africa
- New York power cut: Supply restored in Manhattan