A driver has ploughed into a group of pedestrians near the French city of Toulouse, injuring three Chinese exchange students.
A 23-year-old woman was seriously injured, and two men aged 22 and 23 were also hurt, police said.
The incident occurred outside a college in the suburb of Blagnac.
The 28-year-old driver "purposefully hit" the group on a crosswalk, Toulouse prosecutor Pierre-Yves Couilleau said.
The victims are students at the ICD-Toulouse International Business School. The woman's life is not in danger, police said.
The driver was arrested immediately afterwards. Police said he had several previous minor convictions, some drugs-related.
Unconfirmed reports say he had a history of mental illness including acute schizophrenia. La Dépêche du Midi newspaper quoted him as telling police he had heard voices telling him to harm someone.
Mr Couilleau visited the scene of the accident and said there was no suggestion the incident was an act of terrorism.
"What matters in this case is the psychiatric profile of the person," he said.
The man "had been planning this act for a month", Mr Couilleau added.
Toulouse Mayor Jean-Luc Moudenc tweeted (in French): "Very shocked by the aggression towards the students in Blagnac. We offer all our support to them and their loved ones."
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Two teen girls arrested for 'plotting nine murders' in Florida
- Sudan protesters 'to name transitional government'
- Notre Dame rector says ‘computer glitch’ likely started cathedral fire
- Indian man 'chops off finger' after voting for wrong party
- Mueller report: Democrats keep pressure on Trump over Russia
- Mali violence: PM and entire government resigns
- Bill Gates trends on Twitter after phone call with Nigeria's Buhari
- NASA warns about massive asteroid
- Nigerian chief justice sacked
- France’s Axa insured Notre Dame Art, 2 construction firms
- North Korea test fires new tactical guided weapon - state media
- 'Alarming malnutrition rates' in southern Ethiopia
- Madeira crash: At least 28 killed on tourist bus
- Peru's former president kills himself ahead of arrest
- Ivory Coast destroys 18,000 tonnes of dangerous rice