An Australian MP has proposed to his partner during a parliamentary debate on legalising same-sex marriage.
Tim Wilson's proposal to Ryan Bolger, who was sitting in the public gallery, was met with a loud "yes" - reaffirming a commitment they made nine years ago.
The House of Representatives began debating the bill on Monday, five days after it was passed in the Senate.
Mr Wilson is believed to be the first MP to propose on the floor of the house, officials said.
"In my first speech, I defined our bond by the ring that sits on both of our left hands. They [the rings] are the answer to the question we cannot ask," an emotional Mr Wilson said in his speech.
"So there is only one thing left to do. Ryan Patrick Bolger, will you marry me?"
The question drew cheers and applause. The speaker congratulated the pair, before confirming that Mr Bolger's response had been officially recorded in Hansard.
Mr Wilson said the protracted national debate on same-sex marriage had been the "soundtrack" to their relationship.
Earlier, the government MP spoke about his own experience growing up as a gay teenager and struggling with a stigma surrounding homosexuality.
"This bill rams a stake into the heart of that stigma and its legacy," he said.
Mr Wilson is among 77 MPs who will speak on the bill. A vote is likely to happen this week unless there are significant amendments.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Lion Air crash: Victim's fiancée takes wedding photos alone
- UK closer to delivering Brexit - May
- UN lifts nine-year Eritrea sanctions
- South Africa minister resigns weeks after sex video scandal
- Brexit: Theresa May to face cabinet showdown over deal
- Trump finally appoints new ambassador to Saudi Arabia
- Over 300,000 Congolese refugees forced to leave Angola
- 10 students die in suspected arson at Ugandan boarding school
- CNN sues Trump, top White House aides for barring Acosta
- California wildfires: Death toll reaches grim milestone
- Final school hostages freed in Cameroon
- Raging Californian fires kill 25
- Study finds 'huge' fall in FGM rates among African girls
- Trump, Macron may clash on European defense in Paris talks
- Death toll from Somalia hotel attack rises to 39