Prince Charles has spoken about the ongoing dispute over whose Jollof rice is best, only to side step the issue of revealing his own preference.
Speaking in Nigeria at the end of his West Africa tour, he said:
Quote Message: Having also visited The Gambia and Ghana over the past week, our visit to Nigeria may perhaps provide an invaluable opportunity to compare – if one ever dares do such a thing! – the relative merits of each country’s Jollof rice… however, for fear of sparking a diplomatic incident, I suspect I shall have to let you draw your own conclusions about which country’s Jollof we found to be the most delicious!"
The last high-profile British person to dare to talk about Jollof rice was the chef, Jamie Oliver, who at least seemed to unite West Africans in condemnation of his own recipe.
We suspect that Prince Charles was briefed about the ongoing rivalry over the traditional dish made with rice, tomatoes and spices because he was so careful not to reveal his favourite.
There has even been a song written by a Ghanaian about how much she can't stand Nigerian Jollof rice.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- 40 police officers from Ghana, 5 other countries leave Somalia
- Controversial Indian spiritual guru sentenced to life in prison for murder
- Zimbabwe in 'total internet shutdown' amid violent crackdown
- Trump cancels Nancy Pelosi foreign trip citing shutdown
- Last-ditch appeal keeps Gbagbo behind bars
- Prince Philip involved in crash while driving
- UK groups fund illegal orphanages in Africa
- Kenya attack: Nine arrests over bloody DusitD2 hotel siege
- DR Congo: Nearly 900 killed in ethnic clashes
- Kenya attack: 21 confirmed dead
- May's government survives no confidence vote
- 'Sex-for-judgeships' scandal rocks Israel
- Hotel attackers killed by Kenyan forces
- Statue's face 'too friendly' for Satan
- EU's Tusk suggests UK should cancel Brexit