A Catholic archbishop in Australia convicted of concealing child sexual abuse will step down from his position.
Philip Wilson, the archbishop of Adelaide, South Australia, was found guiltyof covering up the crimes of a paedophile priest by a court on Tuesday.
He is the most senior Catholic in the world to be convicted of the offence.
Wilson said he would step aside from his duties on Friday.
"It is appropriate that, in the light of some of his Honour's findings, I stand aside from my duties as Archbishop," he said in a statement released on Wednesday.
"If at any point in time it becomes necessary or appropriate for me to take more formal steps, including by resigning as Archbishop, then I will do so."
He did not indicate whether he would appeal the Newcastle Local Court's conviction, for which he faces a maximum two year sentence.
On Tuesday, the court ruled that Wilson had known about a paedophile priest's abuse of altar boys in the 1970s and failed to report the crimes to police.
A magistrate found that Wilson, who was told about the abuse from young victims, dismissed their stories because of his desire to protect the Church's reputation.
Child sexual abuse survivors in Australia have praised the verdict as a milestone in confirming the church's legal accountability for such crimes.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Female BBC manager rejects job over equal pay
- U.S. House's Pelosi: Trump is engaged in 'cover-up'
- Uber driver was Somali war criminal
- A baby cut from his mother's womb after she was killed opens his eyes
- South Sudanese journo beats Dangote in Fortune magazine’s World’s Greatest Leaders list
- Vibrator prize for Spanish squash champion spurs sexism debate
- White House tells ex-aide not to testify
- 12 Jihadists killed as Egypt investigates bomb explosion
- Kenya warns foreigners running illegal betting firms
- The Indian Dalit man killed for eating in front of upper-caste men
- Boat carrying Uganda footballers capsizes
- Saudi Arabia gives Sudan junta $250m
- Boat packed with footballers capsizes in Lake Albert
- Billionaire technology investor to pay entire class's student loans
- Trump: War would mean 'end of Iran'