Bill Gates is trending on Twitter in Nigeria following a phone conversation between the Microsoft founder and Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday.
Mr Buhari's personal assistant Bashir Ahmad tweeted:
— Bashir Ahmad (@BashirAhmaad) April 17, 2019
Mr. @BillGates said he’s happy to be associated with President @MBuhari, restated his commitment to the success of the administration as well as the progress, prosperity and well-being of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He also expressed willingness to do more for the country.— Bashir Ahmad (@BashirAhmaad) April 17, 2019
But some Nigerians on Twitter have been asking whether it was really Mr Gates who made the phone call or the other way round:
Gates: Hello President Buhari.
PMB: Ah! Billy Billy.
Gates: Yeah, whatever! I just wanna discuss status of my NGO projects in your country....
Buhari Media: Bill Gates has called President Buhari to congratulate him on Election victory. Gates expressed joy at...
— Mr Stanley Nwabia (@MrStanleyNwabia) April 18, 2019
Other people imagined the reaction of presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar, who according to media reports, has said he would call experts from Microsoft, IBM and Oracle to testify that he defeated Mr Buhari in the election
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Trump tweet row: Don't take the bait, congresswomen say
- WHO on high alert on possible Ebola outbreak
- May condemns Trump's 'go home' remark to congresswomen
- Zuma denies being 'king of corrupt people'
- Trump to congresswoman of colour: Leave the US
- Harrowing heroin addiction grips South Africa
- New York power cut: Supply restored in Manhattan
- Outcry as military leader names Burundi TV head
- Kismayo attack: At least 26 dead as gunmen storm Somali hotel
- May speaks of 'pride and disappointment' as prime minister
- Trump retreats on citizenship question
- South Africa gas tanker explosion injures six
- Five things the UK ambassador row reveal about Trump
- Nigeria Facebook 'wedding' sparks death threats
- Macron minister under fire for lavish meals including lobster, $550 wines