Bill Gates is trending on Twitter in Nigeria following a phone conversation between the Microsoft founder and Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday.
Mr Buhari's personal assistant Bashir Ahmad tweeted:
Mr. @BillGates said he’s happy to be associated with President @MBuhari, restated his commitment to the success of the administration as well as the progress, prosperity and well-being of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He also expressed willingness to do more for the country.— Bashir Ahmad (@BashirAhmaad) April 17, 2019
But some Nigerians on Twitter have been asking whether it was really Mr Gates who made the phone call or the other way round:
Gates: Hello President Buhari.
PMB: Ah! Billy Billy.
Gates: Yeah, whatever! I just wanna discuss status of my NGO projects in your country....
Buhari Media: Bill Gates has called President Buhari to congratulate him on Election victory. Gates expressed joy at...
— Mr Stanley Nwabia (@MrStanleyNwabia) April 18, 2019
Other people imagined the reaction of presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar, who according to media reports, has said he would call experts from Microsoft, IBM and Oracle to testify that he defeated Mr Buhari in the election
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban row
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- US lifts steel and aluminium tariffs on Canada
- Kenya's ex-President ordered to pay $10m for land grab
- Former Belgian king to be fined over $5,000 a day until he takes paternity test
- British people get drunk more often than anyone else - Survey
- Labour-Tory Brexit talks end without deal
- Kenya's ex-President Daniel arap Moi ordered to pay for land grab
- Home Office denies father visa to see his son get human rights award
- May agrees to set timetable to choose successor
- 'Does this look like a dead man to you?': Malawi's president tackles death rumours
- South Sudan sacks diplomats for not working
- Theresa May agrees to timetable to choose successor
- Trump declares national emergency over IT threats
- Grace Mugabe accused of assaulting domestic worker