In a statement previously released by Kensington Palace in October, Doria, 62, shared her reaction to her daughter’s pregnancy announcement as the rest of the world learned Meghan, 37, and Harry, 34, are expecting their first child together.
“Ms. Ragland is very happy about this lovely news and she looks forward to welcoming her first grandchild,” the statement read.
Doria, a social worker and yoga instructor in L.A., has a close relationship with her daughter and was the only member of Meghan’s family to attend the royal wedding in May.
Doria — who had visited Meghan and Harry in the months leading up to their nuptials — was by her daughter’s side for Meghan’s first royal hosting event in September.
She joined Prince Harry in accompanying Meghan to Kensington Palace for a celebration marking the publication of Together: Our Community Cookbook, which the Duchess of Sussex helped create to benefit those affected by the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy.
Doria met members of the Hubb Community Kitchen and beamed as Meghan spoke about how the women welcomed her. Speaking with guests, Doria said she was “head over heels” about her daughter’s accomplishment.
The royal family has also welcomed Doria. After Prince Charles walked Meghan down the aisle at her royal wedding, he escorted the bride’s mother down the steps of St. George’s Chapel following the ceremony.
Jane Barlow/PA Wire
And while there’s no doubt that Doria will be a hands-on grandmother to Meghan and Harry’s first child, she won’t be sharing a roof with the newest member of the royal family.
- Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our newsletterto get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
Despite reports that Meghan’s mother will be moving into the couple’s new home at Windsor Castle’s Frogmore Cottage, sources tell PEOPLE that Doria, who is based in Los Angeles, will not be a live-in grandmother.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Source: Samir Hussein/WireImage
Doria may have rooms set aside for her in the cottage, located close to the house where Harry and Meghan’s evening wedding party was held and where their engagement photos were taken, but she’s not making a permanent move there.
Meghan and Harry announced that they are keeping the plans around the arrival of their baby private, which means royal fans should not expect for Meghan to pose on the steps of a hospital like Kate Middleton did after the birth of each of her three children. The palace will, however, announce when the Duchess of Sussex is in labor.
Royal fans will get to see the happy couple with their new baby soon after the birth. Within a few days after welcoming their first child, Meghan and Harry will take part in a photo op with their new baby on the grounds of Windsor Castle.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Kenya warns foreigners running illegal betting firms
- The Indian Dalit man killed for eating in front of upper-caste men
- Boat carrying Uganda footballers capsizes
- Saudi Arabia gives Sudan junta $250m
- Boat packed with footballers capsizes in Lake Albert
- Billionaire technology investor to pay entire class's student loans
- Trump: War would mean 'end of Iran'
- Bodies of 'twins' found in clean-up of Kenya river
- Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban row
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- US lifts steel and aluminium tariffs on Canada
- Kenya's ex-President ordered to pay $10m for land grab
- Former Belgian king to be fined over $5,000 a day until he takes paternity test
- British people get drunk more often than anyone else - Survey
- Labour-Tory Brexit talks end without deal