Two firefighters and a Spanish woman have been killed after a huge blast at a bakery in France's capital, Paris.
The emergency services were responding to a gas leak when "a dramatic explosion" occurred, said Interior Minister Christophe Castaner.
Forty-seven people were injured, 10 seriously, in the blast on rue de Trévise at around 09:00 (08:00 GMT).
It happened near the Paris Opera, a popular tourist area, and was felt several streets away.
In the immediate aftermath, overturned cars and debris from other shop fronts littered the street in front of the burning bakery as people stood around, looking stunned by the force of the explosion.
The Spanish woman, who was on holiday with her husband in Paris, died in hospital after the blast, while another Spanish national was also injured.
The Hubert bakery at 6, rue de Trévise was not due to be open at the time of the blast, Le Parisien newspaper reports.
A gas leak had been reported in the building and firefighters had been on their way to deal with it when the explosion occurred.
Firefighters were hurt in the blast
Helicopters landed on the nearby place de l'Opéra to evacuate the injured.
Some 150 people sought refuge in the city's 9th district town hall after the blast, the deputy Paris mayor in charge of security, Colombe Brossel, told French radio.
A passing journalist, Emily Molli, described the vast extent of the damage.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Woman wakes up alone on dark, parked plane
- Jihadists kill 7 Chadian soldiers, local guard in ambush
- Man ordered to compensate ex-wife for 27 years of house chores
- US 'launched cyber-attack on Iran weapons systems'
- Ethiopia army chief shot dead in 'coup bid' attacks
- Ugandan activist to be prosecuted over president's mother
- Harry and Meghan split from William and Kate joint charity
- Gunmen kill dozens in 'terrorist' Mali attack
- Biden refuses to apologise for working with racist senators
- Nigeria condemns attack on its embassy in London
- Slavery reparations hearing ignites fiery debate in Congress
- $22,000 zoo funds stolen by robbers not eaten by gorilla - Nigeria governor
- South African MP punches man during alleged racist incident
- Jamal Khashoggi killing: Saudi crown prince 'should face investigation' - UN
- 70.8 million people displaced worldwide - UNHCR