Senegalese customs authorities have seized nearly 800kg (1,700lb) of cocaine on a ship, officials say.
The cocaine was packed in travel bags, hidden inside 15 new cars that arrived in Dakar from Brazil.
It was reported that the cars were destined for Germany and Ghana.
An investigation is underway to identify those involved in trafficking the drugs.
Local media present at the port during the haul say a foreign couple were among those detained for questioning.
The discovery follows the seizure last Wednesday of 238 kg of cocaine smuggled in a similar manner and destined for Angola.
There have been record cocaine busts in nearby Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau earlier this year.
The recent large drug hauls indicate that West Africa is increasingly becoming a transit point for drugs from South America to the rest of the continent and into Europe.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Dangerous heatwave starts hitting US and Canada
- I sat my exams 30 minutes after giving birth
- Police name suspect in Japan animation studio fire
- Eritrea Orthodox Church ex-leader expelled for 'heresy'
- Ramaphosa 'deliberately' misled parliament - Public Protector
- US shoots down Iranian drone
- S. Africa: Soldiers deployed to counter surge in violence
- Man finds own amputated leg on cigarette packets without consent
- Trump sparks condemnation after supporters chant 'send her back'
- US honours Nigerian imam who hid Christians from killers
- Trump renews attacks on congresswomen of colour: ‘Let them leave’ America
- Kenya deports 17 foreign directors of betting firms
- Former president of ECOWAS Commission De Souza passes away
- Mexican drug lord El Chapo gets life in prison
- Africans 'twice as likely to be refused a UK visa'