Islamist insurgents killed at least 25 soldiers and a number of civilians in an ambush in northeast Nigeria on Saturday morning, two security sources said, the second deadly attack on the army this week.
Militants opened fire as the soldiers were escorting a group of evacuees from a village in Borno state, where Boko Haram and other militants have been fighting for a decade.
“They ambushed and surrounded the vehicles of both the soldiers and the civilians and opened fire on them,” said one of the sources, part of a vigilante group that fights alongside the military against the insurgencies.
“They exchanged fire for some minutes before the Boko Haram militants overpowered the soldiers.”
Nigeria’s government has said the Boko Haram insurgency, and the rival Islamic State West Africa Province group, are on their last legs.
But sustained efforts to eradicate the militants have failed and the military continues to suffer heavy losses.
The war has killed more than 30,000 people and displaced millions more.
The soldiers were evacuating villages in the region on Saturday to carry out operations against Boko Haram, the sources said. One said the civilian convoy had as many as 50 vehicles.
Nigerian military spokesmen did not respond to requests for comment.
On Wednesday, Islamic State’s West Africa branch claimed responsibility for a raid in Nigeria in which it said 20 soldiers had been killed, and released a video purporting to show the execution of nine other Nigerian soldiers.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Prince William: 'I'd support my child if they were gay'
- Kenyan MP arrested after threatening foreign traders
- Pilot falls asleep mid-flight, misses airport
- Beauty queen 'raped by Gambia's ex-President Jammeh'
- Grace Mugabe slapped with $4m lawsuit
- Kenya's love-hate relationship with Chinese traders
- Ethiopia 'coup ringleader killed'
- Zimbabwe bans use of foreign currencies
- Aksum: The holy city where mosques are banned
- Iran: New US sanctions target Supreme Leader Khamenei
- Sudan crisis: Internet restored - but only for lawyer
- Woman wakes up alone on dark, parked plane
- Jihadists kill 7 Chadian soldiers, local guard in ambush
- Man ordered to compensate ex-wife for 27 years of house chores
- US 'launched cyber-attack on Iran weapons systems'