A tourist bus has overturned on the Portuguese island of Madeira leaving 28 people dead and others injured.
The deaths were confirmed by Lusa, the national news agency.
German newspaper Bild said nine German tourists had died in the accident at Caniço. The coach was said to be carrying 50 passengers.
Details are sketchy but Portuguese media showed an overturned bus surrounded by firefighters.
The cause of the crash is not known, nor are the nationalities of all those on board.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Hong Kong suspends controversial extradition bill after mass protests
- Outrage in Tanzania over wig and hair extension tax
- Christchuch attack suspect pleads not guilty
- Kenyan MP arrested 'for slapping female colleague'
- German court rules mass-killing of male chicks legal
- Mexico says sale of presidential plane will curb illegal migration
- Gabon appoints white British conservationist as forestry and environment minister
- Public protector confirms Ramaphosa is implicated in Bosasa probe
- Russia has dropped charges against a journalist after protests
- Trump accidentally reveals Mexico migrant plan
- Ebola outbreak spreads to child in Uganda
- Chemical castration: Alabama enacts new paedophile law
- Woman gives birth, sits exams 30 minutes later
- Final 10 contenders named in race to No 10
- US envoy to visit Sudan amid crisis