The Greater Accra Regional Minster, Nii Armah Ashietey, was Saturday evening engaged in an emergency meeting with elders of Osu Traditional Council following disturbances in the area today.
Some unidentified youth reportedly attacked the Osu palace destroying almost everything there. Residents say the move was to halt the performance of the annual Dade festival.
Earlier, police had warned people belonging to Nii Nortey Owuo’s faction in the chieftaincy dispute not to go ahead with the celebration.
It took police intervention amidst firing of teargas to restore peace to the area.
Joy News’ Ebenezer Opoku-Boahen reports that TV sets, furniture and drums among other valuables were destroyed in the course of the attack.
Meanwhile, an interested party in the Osu chieftaincy dispute Osu Nii Annan has accused Greater Accra Regional Police Commander DCOP Rose Bio Atinga of bias in handling the dispute.
“Now I hear they are arresting people. It is not even safe to go to Osu. Osu citizens cannot walk on the streets, that is what I heard…when we protest it is not a security threat [but] when the other people protest, yeah, it’s [considered a security threat].
“Right now I am in a hiding place [because] the police will arrest me and just say that I have gathered people…what I know is some faction is leading people to pick people, so people are in their bedrooms.”
The Greater Accra Police Command has, however, refrained from commenting on the matter for now.
Story by Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
- Accra is second most expensive city in the world – Survey
- Complete abandoned E-block if you are frustrated – Akufo-Addo tells Aflao chief
- Shatta Wale remanded in police custody for one week
- Lil Win unites with Funny Face at Kaneshie District Court
- Kofi Kinaata drops visuals for Thy Grace singles
- Google agrees to integrate Ghana’s GPS into Google map system – Bawumia
- Ambassador to Italy, Eudora Quartey-Koranteng has died
- ‘I made a mistake’ – Akufo-Addo apologises for Cape Coast harbour comment
- Prof Nana Aba Appiah Amfo is 1st female Vice-Chancellor of University of Ghana
- Ursula Owusu-Ekuful could be NPP’s running mate in 2024 – Kwesi Pratt hints
Prof Kwadwo Appiagyei-Atua: Intrusion of national security details on campus a violation of academic freedom and democracy
Onion Sellers Association thank Akufo-Addo for relocation to Adjen Kotoku
World Cup Qualifiers: Ethiopia to host Ghana in Johannesburg
Stop conniving with foreign tile makers to shortchange Ghana – Mireku Duker to illegal clay miners
What makes a successful entrepreneur? – SamBoad Group CEO tells young Ghanaians
OccupyGhana’s letter to Special Prosecutor on unconstitutional time extension for public officers’ assets/liabilities declaration
MTN Group receives recognition on Fortune’s Change the World list
Ghanaian teachers are among the best in the world – Yaw Adutwum
Exports, fixed investment to contribute 0.8% to GDP in 2021 – Report
Fire guts house at Kwamo
Africa Makeup Fair, Awards slated for November
Pornhub owner settles with Girls Do Porn victims over videos
Paris Hilton pushes for US youth care abuse reform
Tax cheat schemes cost governments billions
Apple unveils new computer chips amid shortage