Audio By Carbonatix
The Africa Cup of Nations will not be broadcast on national television in Zambia since the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) cannot afford the rights fee to screen the Nations Cup.
The Chipolopolo are playing in Group C, but fans back home will not be able to watch them, that is unless they have access to satellite television.
The Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) failed to raise the sum demanded by rights holders LC2.
ZNBC director general, Joseph Salasini, told BBC Sport that LC2 initially asked for $1.78 million.
The figure was later reduced to 1.48 million, but the ZNBC managed to raise only $150,000 towards the amount required.
"This level of broadcast rights is unprecedented in the history of African football," said Salasini.
"This amount is close to ZNBC's sales budget for a quarter. It's wrong to exploit the passion of African people regarding football”, said Salasini.
Salasini said his institution cannot raise the remainder of the money, despite embarking on a rigorous fundraising campaign last year.
"As director-general of the ZNBC, I have the solemn duty and burden to face and inform the nation about this unpleasant position," he said.
"As Zambians, we have a choice of putting money into football or securing the lives of the people who are affected by floods," he said.
"I think what we have seen is that those holding broadcast rights are essentially looking at exploiting the nature of football in Africa, which is wrong.”
SOURCE: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
1 minute -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
55 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
57 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
1 hour -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
2 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
2 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
2 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
2 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
2 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
2 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
3 hours
