Waste management firm, Zoomlion Ghana Ltd., wants the High Court to set aside a JoyNews documentary used by the Auditor-General as evidence of fraud against the company.
Lead counsel for Zoomlion, Osafo Buabeng, told the Court this evidence is irrelevant because it is the work of a private media investigation which an independent body such as the Auditor-General cannot rely on.
The JoyNews investigations done by award-winning journalist Manasseh Azure Awuni in 2018 titled ‘Robbing the Assemblies’ corroborates findings in the 2015 Auditor-General’s report on the company.
Zoomlion’s counsel, however, wants the Auditor-General to stick to evidence contained in its annual report which formed the basis of its description of the company’ dealings as fraudulent.
The waste management company is in court seeking to set aside portions of the 2015 audit report, disallowing ¢180m it received from the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) for fumigation services to district assemblies across the country.
Photo: Zoomlion staff providing fumigation services
Auditor-General maintained the payment was not justified because the company charged the state for the same or similar service it had already been paid to provide.
The auditors also found, most of Zoomlion’s contract to provide fumigation services was not executed or inefficiently done to merit the payments.
Zoomlion has rejected these claims and has appealed the Auditor-General’s findings.
The court presided over by Justice Georgina Mensah Datsa adjourned hearing to July 15 to continue hearing oral arguments.
- University of Ghana wins $165 million judgement debt case
- Ghanaian musician stripped off pants by military men
- GRA queries Customs Staff Association Secretary for participating in JoyNews discussion ‘without approval’
- Heir apparent to Yaa Naa Mahama Abubakari Mahama II passes on
- It does not make sense any longer to buy treasury bills – Prof Lord Mensah
- BoG increases policy rate to 22%; cost of borrowing to shoot up significantly
- Pastor cries on TV for forgiveness from best friend he accused of sleeping with his wife
- Key directors, management of UT and Capital banks prosecuted for criminal offences – EOCO, BoG report
- NPP writes to Alan Kyerematen, Adorye summoned over ‘Aduro Wo So Health Walk’
- BoG uncovers ¢116.7m untraceable investments of collapsed MFCs, S&Ls and Finance House firms
eCedi will not be operated on blockchain technology – BoG
7 arrested for allegedly killing 2 over witchcraft accusation
Bright Simons: Is the Bank of Ghana losing the plot?
Imprisonment of fishers will be enacted in our laws – Fisheries Minister
Former beauty queen Penelope Jones-Mensah supports Dzelukope
Reggae music is not dead – Ras Kuuku
Always have faith in what you do – Sarkodie inspires fans with throwback pictures
Boy, 16, drowns after allegedly insulting river god
Japan urges its young people to drink more to boost economy
Increasing policy rate will not bring down rising inflation – Financial Advisor
As Ghana gets poorer, Ofori-Atta’s Databank gets richer – KKD fumes at company’s role as advisors for some loan transactions
Leave Otto Addo to take a decision on Asamoah Gyan – Elvis Afriyie Ankrah
It is not too late to review Free SHS to ensure quality – Mahama to government
Increasing policy rate to 22% good but cap government borrowing – Finance lecturer to BoG
Life’s turbulence presents opportunity to become better – McKorley charges students