One man has died and nine people have been injured following a strong earthquake that shook the Greek island of Crete on Monday, Greece’s General Secretariat for Civil Protection confirmed to CNN.
The earthquake, which hit at 9.17 a.m. local time, had a magnitude of 5.8, according to the Athens Geodynamic Institute.
It said the quake’s epicenter was 14 miles northwest of the seaside village of Arvi in southeastern Crete, at a depth of six miles.
The man who has been confirmed dead was removed unconscious from a chapel in the town of Arkalochori, south of the island’s capital, Heraklion.
He had been working on renovations to the chapel.
Civil protection authorities confirmed to CNN that there has been extensive damage to some buildings, mostly old ones and that schools have been closed for the day.
Government officials are on the ground to take stock of the damage.
The Greek Fire Service said in a statement that its forces in the region were immediately mobilized, with patrols being carried out in the wider area.
Crete is the largest and most populous of all the Greek islands, with a population of more than 634,000, according to European Union data.
The European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) earlier reported the earthquake had a preliminary magnitude of 6.5.
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- ‘I never promised to build a harbour in Cape Coast’ – Akufo-Addo
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- ‘God says we should sing a new song’ not plagiarise – Cindy Thompson to take legal actions against offenders
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- Funny Face threatens to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- I lied because people were associating me with politics – Cindy Thompson on ‘Awurade Kasa’
- NDC must pass Vote of No Confidence on Mahama – Atta Akyea on 1 million secret ballots claim
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
Isaac Dogboe set for Christopher Diaz challenge on November 20
Man stabs, cuts off penis of friend for taking his nude pictures
Local media not doing enough to project highlife music – Berima Amo
The Big Talent Show Week 3: Contestants dazzle fans with awesome performances in eviction-free week
Liberian President George Weah rewards taxi driver who returned $50k
Four taxi cab robbers jailed 60 years
Prince Yaw Antwi: Homeownership – To build or to buy, the dilemma of the millennial
Finance Minister must account for ¢1.26bn accrued from Price Stabilisation and Recovery Levy
LGBTQ+ Bill: I see no right in life to use ‘exits as entries’ – Mikki Osei Berko
Blackmail: Fans react as alleged intimate video of Tiwa Savage, lover surfaces
Seaweed smothering beaches along the coast of Western Region
Government will not scrap taxes and levies imposed on petroleum products – Deputy Energy Minister
Cut taxes further on petroleum price build-up – Government told
Why Samini thinks IGP won’t be laughing at Shatta Wale’s expensive joke
Jude Bellingham: The teenager at the forefront of England’s future