About 194 workers said to be working at the state-owned Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) are there illegally.
This came to light when the Minister of Information John Tia and his two deputies Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa and Baba Jamal met management of the corporation on Friday.
It is not clear if the ministers’ visit to GBC was occasioned by the recent agitations for the reinstatement of the embattled former Director-General of the state broadcaster, Mr William Ampem-Darko.
The former Director-General was asked by the National Media Commission to proceed on an indefinite leave late November last year, but some workers of the state broadcaster want him back.
According to a Citi FM reporter who is with the delegation, the Minister of Information intimated that their visit was necessitated by the failure of GBC to furnish the ministry with the necessary information. The Information Ministry has supervisory jurisdiction over the state broadcaster which has attracted the headlines in recent years.
Mr John Tia said for quite over a year now the only information the ministry gets concerning the state broadcaster was through media reports.
Touching on the illegal workers, Mr Tia condemned the “sad development” at GBC and asked the appropriate authorities to take action to sanitise the place.
He said GBC is indebted to various organizations, including the Electricity Company of Ghana, to the tune of about GH¢1.2 million.
The situation, he said is having a great toll on the government purse.
Story by Isaac Essel/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana