Some seven police officers who died while performing their duties from 2016 to 2022 have been remembered in a memorial day observation in Eastern Region.
The ceremony held at the forecourt of the Eastern Regional Police Headquarters brought together bereaved families and officers from other security services.
The officers killed in line of duty are General Constable Chris Quarshie with the Koforidua Police Division who died in last year; General Corporal Nathaniel Afriyie Marfo and General Lance Corporal Balatinang Katapranang Kwasi both at Nkawkaw Division died in 2017 and 2021, respectively.
The rest are Lance Corporal Alhassan Asare, General Lance Corporal Joseph Yankey all of the the Akyem Oda Division who were killed in 2019 and 2020, respectively.
General Sargent William Seworkpor and General Sargent Moses Tetteh Nartey both stationed at Asamankese Division also died in 2016 and 2021, respectively.
The bereaved family members present could not hold back their tears as they reminisced the callous deaths of their beloved ones.
The Eastern Regional Minister, Seth Kwame Acheampong, the Regional Police Commander, the New Juaben South and North MCEs as well as bereaved families took turns to lay wreaths.
In a brief sermon, the Regional Police Chaplain, Rev Chief Inspector Godwin Kumatror, called on the police personnel to commit themselves to their chosen endeavours in spite of the huge task they face in line of duty.
Some members of the bereaved families urged the police administration to facilitate justice for the police officers by arresting and prosecuting their assailants.
They also bemoaned delay in payment of financial entitlement due the slain personnel.
The Eastern Regional Minister expressed deepest condolences of government to the bereaved families.
He acknowledged sacrifices of police personnel in protecting lives and property and keeping the region relatively peaceful.
- New Jersey Councilwoman Eunice Dwumfour shot dead outside home in ‘despicable criminal act’
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- I feel pain after sex with my husband of 9 years, I don’t know how to tell him – Emotionally troubled woman
- NIA’s statement affirms issuing Ghana Card in the name of Kwabena Adu Gyamfi – Ablakwa
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- Bawku is a complete war zone – Security analyst
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- We ‘neutralised’ 6 armed men in Bawku – GAF on allegations of killing 7 locals
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Be careful so you don’t breach your own regulations and Ghana’s laws – Alumni Association tells UG
- Digital Cooperation Organization hosts 2nd General Assembly in Riyadh
- We were not consulted on National Rental Assistance Scheme – Tenant’s Union
- Overheating, reusing oil increases cholesterol levels – Expert advises
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Teacher confesses to having sex in classroom with 12-year-old, police say
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Nigeria disagrees with ‘surprise’ Moody’s downgrade – Finance minister
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Alleged spy balloon over US is weather device – China
- I was admonishing Senyo Hosi on his emotions, not bondholders – John Kumah
- Public outrage in South Africa over possible Spurs sponsorship deal
- Let’s give peace a chance -U/E Regional Minister appeals
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- NPP likely to hold presidential primaries in November