An eight-year-old boy has been shot dead during a festival ritual in Awutu Bereku in the Awutu Senya West District of the Central Region.
According to the deceased’s relative, Atta Kow was shot dead on Monday morning by those carrying out the rituals to purify the community before the Awutu Awubia festival.
The boy was reportedly pushing his brother, who has a mobility disability, in a wheelchair when he was hit by the bullet.
Two others are in critical condition and have been rushed to the hospital for treatment.
The eyewitness who gave his name as Joe, told Joy News the people are supposed to be shooting in the sky, so he is amazed how they ended up shooting the victim; he claims to be his mother’s only child.
He said they were home when his aunt, the mother of the deceased, rushed in wailing “Oh, they have killed my son.”
Joe said, together with his father, they rushed outside to meet a crowd surrounding the deceased’s body covered with a cloth with blood all over the place.
Meanwhile, Awutu Bereku District Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Joshua Semanyo who confirmed the incident said the suspect has been arrested.
There is currently heavy Police presence at the durbar grounds as residents remain infuriated by the development.
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- Officials of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall picked up for tax violations
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Cost of fuel: Ghanaians must pay fair market prices – PUMA Energy President
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- Pay Toure over ¢100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- Don’t stop attending church because of my broken marriage – Osofo Kyiri Abosom tells congregation
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Ahuofe Patri loses mother
- Rail Robotics Club commissioned in Dormaa Senior High School
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- My ‘Aso’ song was inspired by a friend but it later happened to me – Kwabena Kwabena
- Football transfers: Kamaldeen Sulemana chooses Southampton over Everton
- Xornametor Foundation constructs 3-unit pavilion for CK Korpe community
- Housemate to be charged over murder of LGBTQ activist
- Founders and chancellors of private universities announce name for new association
- National Cathedral: Board of Trustees should be dissolved and forensic audit conducted – Ablakwa
- Abolish protocol system in the CSSPS – Ablakwa
- Debt level is troubling; government must cut expenditure – Prof. Peprah
- Priscilla Aseye Febiri: 2023 top trends & insights about Influencer Marketing
- I just wanted to whisper in Efya’s ear – S3FA explains viral kissing video
- Government must reprioritise its educational needs – Ablakwa
- My next girlfriend will enjoy a more sophisticated me – Kwabena Kwabena
- Northern Development Authority CEO, 3 others plead not guilty to corruption charges, granted bail