Audio By Carbonatix
US media are reporting that cyclist Lance Armstrong is facing a fresh federal investigation after admissions he took performance-enhancing drugs.
Attorney Andre Birotte, who oversaw an earlier inquiry, had said a previous decision not to prosecute still stood.
However, ABC News reports that: "Agents are actively investigating Armstrong for obstruction, witness tampering and intimidation".
It adds that Birotte "does not speak for the federal government as a whole".
Armstrong made the confession that he had taken performance-enhancing drugs during all seven of his Tour de France wins in an interview with Oprah Winfrey last month.
Legal experts said Armstrong exposed himself to possible charges of perjury or obstruction of justice.
But of the case he investigated, Birotte said: "We made a decision on that case a little over a year ago.
"Obviously, we've been well aware of the statements that have been made by Mr Armstrong in other media reports. That does not change my view at this time."
Regardless of any fresh charges, Armstrong still faces a stream of legal worries.
He is being sued for ÂŁ6.9m by a US insurance company, and around ÂŁ1m by the Sunday Times.
There is also an ongoing "whistleblower" case involving former teammate Floyd Landis, who was stripped of his own 2006 Tour de France victory. That suit could see the US federal government reclaim money used to fund Armstrong's US Postal Service team, with Landis possibly receiving 25% of any amount recovered under the Federal False Claims Act.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
1 hour -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
2 hours -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
2 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
3 hours -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
3 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
3 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
3 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
3 hours -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
3 hours -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
4 hours -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
4 hours -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
4 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
4 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
4 hours