Audio By Carbonatix
Beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina, who has been at the centre of a fierce nationality row, is to be stripped of her South African identity and travel documents.
The Department of Home Affairs began investigating her case after she became a finalist in the Miss South Africa pageant but faced criticism as people questioned her eligibility to compete because her mother has Mozambican roots and her father is Nigerian.
She withdrew from the competition in August after the department announced that her mother might have committed "identity theft" to become a South African national.
Ms Adetshina, a law student, went on to win Miss Universe Nigeria after she was invited to participate by the organisers.
The controversy sparked a wave of xenophobic vitriol in South Africa after which Ms Adetshina told the BBC she would need therapy to recover.
The Department of Home Affairs made the announcement about the withdrawal of her ID papers to a parliamentary committee on Tuesday.
Tommy Makhode, the top civil servant at the department, said Ms Adetshina’s mother would also have her documents cancelled as they had both failed to meet Monday’s deadline to provide reasons why they should be eligible to keep them.
Neither Ms Adestshina nor her mother have commented on the move to revoke their papers.
Mr Makhode said the case had been referred to the Hawks, a special police unit that investigates serious crimes, which had concluded that it was a "case of fraud" - and officials were awaiting on prosecutors about how to proceed.
After the department’s revelation in August, it said that Ms Adestshina "could not have participated in the alleged unlawful actions of her mother as she was an infant at the time".
Ms Adestahina has previously said she was born in the South African township of Soweto.
After winning the beauty competition in Nigeria, she told the BBC that she still saw herself as "proudly South African" and "proudly Nigerian".
Ms Adetshina has just arrived in Mexico to represent Nigeria at the Miss Universe competition to be held on 16 November.
She will compete against contestants from across the world, including Mia le Roux, who won this year's Miss South Africa contest.
Latest Stories
-
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
10 seconds -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
2 minutes -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
6 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
12 minutes -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
14 minutes -
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
31 minutes -
‘Now it’s action, no talking’ – Rent Control cracks whip on hostel operators
34 minutes -
GACC, Save Our Environment Foundation train Tano South residents on corruption and accountability
36 minutes -
MOGMusic to headline Ransomed Ministries Ghana’s Total Worship 2026
40 minutes -
Multimedia Group pays courtesy call on Petrosol ahead of GSE listing
49 minutes -
Gov’t acknowledges unresolved grievances over mining damage, displacement
50 minutes -
Joy FM to host maiden Back-to-School PrayerFest ahead of new academic year
53 minutes -
Ghana must legislate minimum community development obligations for mining companies – Mireku Duker
1 hour -
GoldBod costs could have been minimised with better planning – Prof. Bokpin
1 hour -
GoldBod operations imposing losses on BoG balance sheet – Prof Bokpin
1 hour