Audio By Carbonatix
Journalists from newspapers and online portals are to be denied access to Ghana's Election 2024 results collation centres at the constituency and regional levels.
The Electoral Commission (EC) has decided to grant limited media accreditation that gives access to only television and radio stations at the collation centres, excluding newspapers and online portals.
The commission had earlier asked for applications for media accreditation, which normally grants access to the coverage of the elections at all polling stations and collation centres.
However, with this new arrangement, the EC has decided to limit the accreditation to only television and radio stations when it comes to the collation centres.
In a memo addressed to all regional directors, it said only television and radio stations that are to be granted access to collation centres.
Even with that, it is only eight media houses that will be granted access per each constituency collation centre.
When it comes to the regional collation centres, only 12 media houses will be granted access.
The memo, emanating from the office of the EC Deputy Chairman in charge of Operations, Samuel Tettey, addressed to the regional directors and copied to the Deputy Chairman in charge of Corporate Affairs talks about accreditation for media houses.
"Ahead of Election Day on the 7th of December, this comes to request that you [regional directors] send us the names of credible media houses, i.e. radios and TV stations in your districts and regions," the memo stated.
"The purpose is to enable us to provide them with accreditation which will allow them entry into the constituency collation centres and the regional collation centres..."
It goes ahead to explain that out of the eight media houses per constituency collation centre, there should be three TV stations, two personnel per station and five radio stations, one personnel per station.
For the regional collation centres, it states that out of the 12 media houses per centre, there should be five TV stations, two personnel per station and seven radio stations, one personnel per station.
The memo does not mention newspapers and online portals and concludes by asking the regional directors to submit the names of media houses by the close of the day on Monday, November 24.
It adds that without the accreditation, "no media personnel can enter our collation centres."
Latest Stories
-
Plan International Ghana launches 9.4 million CAD support for women’s rights groups
4 minutes -
KsTU adjudged best technical university, 4th best university in Ghana in 2026 QS sub-Saharan Africa rankings
8 minutes -
Ghana considers extradition option in intimate image leak case – Gender Minister
27 minutes -
Bawumia launches NPP rebuild, announces new policy unit ahead of 2028
27 minutes -
We’re strengthening cross-border and cybersecurity collaboration to combat online abuse – Gender Minister
30 minutes -
Obama clarifies views on aliens after saying ‘they’re real’ on podcast
35 minutes -
Russia killed opposition leader Alexei Navalny using dart frog toxin, UK says
38 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price increases: GOIL sells petrol at GH¢10.24 as diesel rises to GH¢12.83
39 minutes -
Modern, Vertical, Visionary: PUNA officially launched in Accra
49 minutes -
Bishop Joel Duncan-Williams pays courtesy call on Central Regional Minister during evangelical visit to UCC
49 minutes -
Mother of Alexei Navalny says poison finding confirms he was murdered
1 hour -
Gov’t approves cabinet directives following review of over 8,000 land leases nationwide
1 hour -
In an uncertain trade landscape, cooperation still delivers
1 hour -
7 Ghanaian traders killed in Titao terrorist attack buried in Burkina Faso
1 hour -
Northern teachers protest ‘fake appointment’ claims
1 hour
