Audio By Carbonatix
India and the US have begun bilateral trade negotiations that will continue until Saturday in Delhi.
A US delegation, led by Assistant Trade Representative for South and Central Asia Brendan Lynch, arrived in the city on Tuesday for the talks.
"This visit reflects the United States' continued commitment to advancing a productive and balanced trade relationship with India," a US Embassy statement said.
The negotiations are happening ahead of President Donald Trump's 2 April deadline to impose "reciprocal" or tit-for-tat tariffs on countries around the world, including India.
India's junior commerce minister Jitin Prasada told parliament on Tuesday that the two countries were planning to negotiate a "multi-sector bilateral trade agreement" that focused on increasing market access and "reducing tariff and non-tariff barriers."
The countries have been engaged in hectic negotiations since Trump came into office.
Trade Minister Piyush Goyal made an unscheduled visit to the US in March for talks following a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Washington in February.
The US was until recently India's biggest trading partner, with bilateral trade amounting to $190bn.
Trump and Modi had set a target to more than double it to $500bn (£400bn). The two sides also committed to negotiating the first phase of a trade agreement by autumn 2025.
The Trump administration has repeatedly accused India of being a "tariff king" and a "big abuser" of trade ties in the past.
India has recently lowered tariffs on Bourbon whiskey, motorcycles and some other US products, but the balance of trade is still stacked heavily in its favour, with Delhi enjoying a $45bn trade surplus.
India's average tariffs of around 12% are also significantly higher than the US's 2%.
Officials have not spoken publicly about the contours of the trade talks, but Reuters has reported that India could be considering slashing tariffs on more than half of US imports worth $23bn in the first phase of a trade deal to avoid Trump's reciprocal action.
Trump had previously said he wanted to charge countries tit-for-tat tariffs whereby the US would impose exactly the same charges that other countries imposed on it.
But on Monday, he suggested the White House might be "nicer than that".
"We may take less than what they're charging, because they've charged us so much, I don't think they could take it," he said, while also acknowledging that some countries might be spared from the measures.
Latest Stories
-
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
22 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
31 minutes -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
49 minutes -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
57 minutes -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
1 hour -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
1 hour -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
1 hour -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
1 hour -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
1 hour -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
1 hour -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
1 hour -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
1 hour -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
1 hour -
Ghana and Togo strengthen cooperation on security, trade and regional development
2 hours