Audio By Carbonatix
US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Thursday that cuts tariffs on Japanese car imports from 27.5% to 15%, easing uncertainty for motor industry giants like Toyota, Honda and Nissan.
It formalises an agreement, which was announced in July, to apply a 15% levy to almost all Japanese exports to the US - including vehicles and pharmaceuticals.
Tokyo has also agreed to invest $550bn (£410bn) in US projects, and gradually open its economy to American goods, including cars and rice, the White House said.
The deal came after months of negotiations between the US and Japan in the wake of Trump announcing sweeping tariffs on most countries around the world in April.
"Finally," Japan's top trade negotiator, Ryosei Akazawa, said in Japanese as he reposted a White House announcement about the executive order.
According to the order, the deal will help reduce America's trade deficit with Japan and provide US businesses "breakthrough openings".
The White House said Japan has committed to buying $8bn worth of US goods a year - including agricultural products, fertilisers and bioethanol.
It added that Tokyo has also agreed to gradually increase its purchases of US-grown rice by 75% - a concession it had previously resisted to protect its agricultural industry.
Trump hailed the agreement as "massive" when it was announced in July.
"It's a great deal for everybody. I always say it has to be great for everybody. It's a great deal," he said in a news conference.
The Japanese economy is reliant on selling goods abroad, with the US as its biggest export market.
Cars account for around 20% of the country's total exports.
Trump's tariffs, which came into effect in August, have sent shockwaves around the world as governments and businesses adapt to the changing global market.
Last month, Toyota warned that the impact of US tariffs would cost it around $10bn this year.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod is the best we’ve done with our gold resources yet – Kofi Bentil
5 minutes -
‘I never insulted Afenyo-Markin, he got the response he deserved’ – Sammy Gyamfi
17 minutes -
We’ve moved gold purchases to Interbank rate – GoldBod CEO
40 minutes -
‘We’re not milking the state like a parasite’ – Sammy Gyamfi defends GoldBod fees
46 minutes -
‘You can’t call it losses today after defending it’ – Sammy Gyamfi to NPP on Gold-for-Oil Programme
49 minutes -
Unclaimed car? Efua Abban’s experience with shipping a car to Ghana from the United States
60 minutes -
GoldBod revenue comes from legally approved fees – Sammy Gyamfi
1 hour -
Ghana cautions Tijjaniya Muslim pilgrims over road travel to Senegal
1 hour -
Mfantsiman old girls rally support for ICT library as school marks 66th Speech Day
1 hour -
We won’t stay silent on deliberate smear campaigns – GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Ghana’s grid not the strongest – Jinapor admits as gov’t eyes critical power investments
2 hours -
I support calls for Energy Minister to appear before Parliament – Sagnarigu MP
2 hours -
Frequent power trips alarming; urgent measures needed to prevent nationwide blackouts – Ben Boakye
2 hours -
Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists
2 hours -
ACEP warns frequent power trips expose weaknesses in Ghana’s transmission system
2 hours