Audio By Carbonatix
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) has ordered the immediate release of the Queen Mother of Kwahu, Nana Adwoa Gyamfua III, following a controversial dawn police operation that triggered tension in the Kwahu Traditional Area on Monday.
In a statement, the Ghana Police Service said the IGP has also directed the Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) to conduct a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the operation. Officers found culpable will be sanctioned.
Security has since been heightened across the Kwahu area to maintain calm.
The development came after widespread alarm over claims that the Queen Mother had been forcibly taken from her residence at Abene.
The Paramount Chief of Kwahu, Daasebre Akuamoah Boateng III, earlier told Adom FM that heavily armed police officers stormed the palace around 4:30 a.m. on Monday, November 17, firing shots “indiscriminately” before taking the Queen Mother away.
READ ALSO: Tension mounts in Kwahu as Queen Mother is reportedly abducted
However, the Kwahu Traditional Council has strongly denied reports of an abduction, describing the claims as “entirely false.”
In a statement issued on Monday, the Council said the Queen Mother was not taken away by force and explained that the confusion stemmed from the enforcement of a court order.
According to the Council, police officers were acting on an interlocutory injunction issued by the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs on 24 June 2024.
The injunction was granted in favour of Daasebre Akuamoah Agyapong II and “restrains Baffour Osei Akoto, who has been styling himself as Kwahuhene, together with the Queen Mother and others, from interfering with Daasebre Akuamoah Agyapong II’s occupation and duties at the Abene Palace.”
READ ALSO: Kwahu Traditional Council denies Queen Mother abduction claims
The Council maintained that the operation was lawful, but acknowledged that the lack of clarity around the police presence created tension among residents.
The IGP’s directive to release the Queen Mother and launch an internal investigation is seen as an attempt to de-escalate the situation and address public concerns over the conduct of officers during the early-morning raid.
Meanwhile, the Police Service says additional personnel have been deployed “in and around Kwahu to ensure the safety of all persons” as investigations continue.
Residents have been urged to remain calm while the Police Professional Standards Bureau examines whether proper procedures were followed.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
17 minutes -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
30 minutes -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
49 minutes -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
2 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
2 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
3 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
3 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
4 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
4 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
5 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
5 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
7 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
7 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
7 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
7 hours
