Audio By Carbonatix
The Lands Ministry says it will not retreat in the fight against illegal mining, despite a violent attack on personnel of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) that left one officer injured and an armed assailant dead.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by the Media Relations Officer of the ministry, Paa Kwesi Schandorf, NAIMOS confirmed that one of its task force members was shot in the thigh during a routine anti-galamsey operation in the Bono Region.
The incident occurred in a bush along the Subinkurom–Kyeremasu stretch in the Dormaa Central Municipality.
According to the statement, the task force came under sudden attack when armed men, who had been hiding in the bushes, opened fire upon sighting the officers.
This triggered an exchange of gunfire, during which the NAIMOS officer was hit.
The injured personnel was rushed to St. Matthew Catholic Hospital in Ampenkuro, where he is currently receiving treatment.

During the exchange, one of the armed assailants was shot. He was later identified as Abuu Ibrahim and was pronounced dead on arrival at the same hospital.
The Ministry, through NAIMOS, acknowledged the growing risks faced by officers on the frontlines of the anti-galamsey campaign but stressed that the violence would not derail ongoing operations.
“Despite the persistent attacks and disruptions, [NAIMOS] remains committed to fighting the scourge of illegal mining,” the statement said.
The incident adds to mounting concerns about the increasing militarisation of illegal mining activities, with task force operations now facing direct armed resistance in some parts of the country.
NAIMOS has urged all stakeholders to continue supporting its work as it presses ahead with efforts to clamp down on illegal mining, which continues to devastate forest reserves, water bodies and farmlands across Ghana.
The Ministry insists that the resolve to protect the country’s natural resources remains firm, even in the face of deadly resistance.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
2 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
2 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
2 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
2 hours -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
2 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
2 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
3 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
3 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
4 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
4 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
4 hours