Audio By Carbonatix
Thirty-six infants in the UK have had suspected food poisoning from contaminated baby formula.
It comes after specific batches made by Nestle and Danone were recalled after possible contamination with the toxin, cereulide.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) says it has received clinical notifications of young children developing symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhoea, consistent with cereulide poisoning.
None of the infants – all around or under one – are reported to be gravely ill, the BBC understands.
Gauri Godbole, from UKHSA, said it was not unexpected, given "the widespread availability" of the affected products prior to the recall and "subsequent testing".
Godbole said there did not seem to be any signs that huge numbers of children had been affected so far.
"Current surveillance indicators do not show unusual increases in reports of vomiting in children under the age of 1 for this time of year," she added.
But the agency said it would continue monitoring the situation and providing updates.
The UKHSA has not been able to confirm categorically that the infants had been poisoned but it has been confirmed they consumed the specific brands of infant formula affected.
The Danone batch affected is the 800g pack coded EXP 31-10-2026.
Meanwhile, for Nestle the concerns of possible contamination relate to SMA infant formula and follow-on formula. The batches affected are listed on the company's website.
Cereulide is a toxin which is unlikely to be destroyed by cooking, or when making the infant milk.
If it is consumed it can lead to symptoms like nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps developing quickly.
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has said the toxin was present in a specific ingredient identified as arachidonic acid oil. The oil is added to infant formula to give it some of the important growth properties contained in breast milk.
The FSA has urged parents who had any of the affected products left, to stop using them and switch to an alternative formula.
If you have fed it to your baby and are concerned, contact your GP or NHS 111 for advice, it added.
The FSA is working with manufacturers to trace all products that may have used the affected ingredient and ensure all affected products are removed from sale.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
3 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
5 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
9 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
15 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
15 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
20 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
25 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
27 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
29 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
32 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
37 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
40 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
51 minutes -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
55 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour