Audio By Carbonatix
Paris Saint-Germain defender Achraf Hakimi, who is due to join the Morocco squad against Scotland later on Friday, said he faced trial on a rape charge and welcomed the opportunity to put across his point of view.
Hakimi, 27, who played for Morocco during its World Cup opener against Brazil on Sunday, had appealed his referral to a criminal court.
French media reported earlier that the Versailles appeals court had rejected the appeal, paving the way for his trial in a criminal court at some point in the future.
The Reuters Daily Briefing newsletter provides all the news you need to start your day. Sign up here.
"Today, a story that isn't mine is being told at the expense of my family, my life, and above all, the truth. Sometimes I feel like I've become an easy target," the star defender wrote in a post on social media platform X.
"I've been waiting for this trial since day one. And now I'm looking forward to it. Finally, I'll be able to speak out."
It was not immediately clear when the trial would start. The Versailles appeals court, Hakimi's lawyer, PSG, and the Moroccan national football association did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
It was also not immediately clear whether Hakimi would take to the pitch in Boston later on Friday.
The Nanterre prosecutor's office opened an investigation in 2023 after an allegation of rape was made against Hakimi. French newspaper Le Parisien reported at the time that a then-24-year-old woman said she had been raped.
Latest Stories
-
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
34 minutes -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
45 minutes -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
1 hour -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
1 hour -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
1 hour -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
2 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
2 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
2 hours -
Africa’s next chapter will be built by institution-builders, not idea-havers
2 hours -
Wenchi Traditional Council suspends Twafohene indefinitely
3 hours -
Kpassa-Merimeri road undergoes filling and levelling works to improve accessibility
3 hours -
9 Blue Water Guards arrested over alleged bribery, impersonation
3 hours -
Wildlife guard shot dead during Kakum patrol
3 hours -
‘I reject them without qualification’ — Afenyo-Markin hits back over Sammy Gyamfi’s claims
4 hours -
GoldBod must appear before a parliamentary inquiry to answer for gold-trade losses — Appiagyei
4 hours