Audio By Carbonatix
Fighting has continued inside the Libyan city of Zawiya, just 50km (30 miles) west of the capital Tripoli, after a rebel offensive on Saturday.
A small rebel force was seen in the city centre on Sunday but it is believed government troops are still in the area.
The Libyan government insists it controls the city, which lies on the vital motorway west to Tunisia.
Zawiya's fall would effectively cut the government off from the outside world.
The city was briefly held by rebel forces early in the uprising against Col Muammar Gaddafi's rule this year but they were driven out by tanks and suffered heavy casualties.
Last week, hundreds of rebels pushed out of the Nafusa Mountains in the west, down towards the towns of the coastal plain in an offensive aimed at ending months of deadlock.
Military success in the west is crucial to the rebels, who have struggled to make advance from their stronghold around Benghazi in the east.
A reporter from Reuters news agency saw around 50 rebels near the main market, with their flags flying from a shop.
"I'm 1,000% [sic] sure we're going to take over Zawiya today and then move on to Tripoli," said Bin Jaffin Ali, 34, a shopkeeper turned fighter.
According to an Associated Press reporter in Zawiya, pro-Gaddafi snipers have been shooting at rebels from a central overpass.
Sporadic loud booms could be heard echoing across the city, and a column of heavy black smoke could be seen rising over the outskirts, the reporter added.
AP's journalist also witnessed rebels operating inside the city, saying they had been greeted by a small group of local men who chanted "Freedom! Freedom!".
The rebels also suffered a setback when a government tank they had captured was bombed by the Nato coalition and four people inside were killed, AFP news agency reports.
The agency showed pictures, first of rebels celebrating as they rode around on the tank, then of a charred hulk.
On Saturday, the government insisted it still controlled Zawiya, thought to be the country's fifth-largest city.
"A very small group of rebels tried to move into the south of Zawiya but were stopped easily because of our armed forces," said government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Iranian Embassy in Ghana responds to the remarks of the Israeli Ambassador to Ghana
2 minutes -
GNFS confirms six deaths, seven injured in Accra-Nsawam highway petrol tanker fire
21 minutes -
President Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
30 minutes -
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu questions timing of OSP investigation into alleged vote buying in NPP Presidential Primary
32 minutes -
Photos: Dreams FC suffer 1-0 defeat at home to Karela
38 minutes -
Ghana needs clear policy to tackle galamsey, our past methods fell short – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
43 minutes -
Mahama pushes urgent rollout of Pan-African payment system at AU Summit
47 minutes -
AGA Obuasi Mine and partners inspire girls at Asare Bediako SHS to pursue careers in STEM
49 minutes -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates Spatial Planning Committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
58 minutes -
AI-driven technology set to boost farmers’ productivity and cut seed losses in Ghana
58 minutes -
Early polls are misleading – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu on Ghana’s 2028 elections
1 hour -
Black Princesses arrive in Ghana after victory over South Africa
1 hour -
NPP primaries: Gideon Boako reconciles opposing camps in Tano North
1 hour -
‘We will prepare ourselves to outweigh Uganda’ – Black Princesses coach Charles Sampson
1 hour -
Dr Bawumia can bounce back to win Ghana’s 2028 presidency – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
1 hour
