Audio By Carbonatix
Frederick Kumi, popularly known as Abu Trica, was re-arrested on Monday, January 26, shortly after the High Court struck out his application for certiorari challenging proceedings at the Gbese District Court.
The court held that the application had become moot following the state’s earlier decision to withdraw charges against Abu Trica and two other accused persons, leading to their discharge.
Abu Trica is facing romance fraud allegations, for which the United States of America has submitted an extradition request to the Ghanaian authorities. His legal team has consistently maintained that he is ready to cooperate with all lawful processes.
Despite the discharge, Abu Trica returned to the High Court seeking to quash aspects of the District Court’s proceedings, arguing that issues arising from the case remained unresolved. However, the Attorney-General’s Department opposed the application, insisting that the matter could no longer stand since the prosecution had been discontinued.
Counsel for Abu Trica, Oliver Barker-Vormawor, told the court that his client remained in detention despite the withdrawal of the charges, describing the situation as a disconnect between the letter of the law and its practical effect.
In response, Deputy Attorney-General Dr Justice Srem-Sai assured the court that if Abu Trica was still being held despite his discharge, immediate steps would be taken to secure his release. The court subsequently struck out the application, ruling that there was no live issue before it.
Shortly after the High Court proceedings, Abu Trica was re-arrested by state authorities, reigniting legal uncertainty around his case.
Speaking to journalists later, legal counsel for Abu Trica and his two alleged accomplices confirmed that all three had been formally discharged after the state withdrew the charges.
“That’s what we prayed for from day one, and if the Attorney-General has seen light in that and done the thing, we welcome the decision of the court,” counsel said.
He revealed, however, that the trio had since been taken to the Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC) headquarters. While the reason for the move had not been officially communicated, counsel said he believed it could be for administrative purposes.
“I’m yet to know why they are there, but I believe it’s for administrative purposes. Whatever transpires there, I’ll let you know,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
Don’t let Gold Board become the next COCOBOD – Finance professor warns
1 hour -
Fake vice presidential staffer remanded over visa fraud
4 hours -
Mobile money vendor in court for stealing
4 hours -
Eleven remanded over land guard case activities
4 hours -
Air Force One set for makeover paint job with new colours
4 hours -
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter Milan to continue fairytale
5 hours -
Ga Mantse stable after early morning accident
5 hours -
Pressure mounts as Arsenal blow 2-goal lead to draw at Wolves
5 hours -
Club Brugge fight back to leave Atletico tie delicately poised
5 hours -
Benfica claim ‘defamation campaign’ against Prestianni
5 hours -
Sinner and Alcaraz reach Qatar quarter-finals
5 hours -
Kenpong Travel and Tours to launch 2026 World Cup travel package on Friday
5 hours -
‘It hurts a lot’ – Coutinho announces Vasco exit
5 hours -
Provider – A new gospel anthem of faith, hope, and divine supply
6 hours -
MOBA heads to Accra Ridge for 11th National Conference on Feb 21
6 hours
