Audio By Carbonatix
The High Court in Accra has dismissed an application by former Deputy Executive Director of the National Service Authority (NSA), Gifty Oware-Mensah, seeking to halt her trial and refer constitutional issues to the Supreme Court, describing the request as “lacking merit.”
Presiding judge Justice Audrey Kocuvie-Tay ruled on Tuesday, February 10, 2026, that the defence had failed to demonstrate that a genuine constitutional question had arisen to warrant a referral for interpretation.
Ms Oware-Mensah had challenged the Practice Direction on Disclosure and Case Management Proceedings, 2018, arguing that provisions requiring an accused person to disclose the names and addresses of witnesses at the case management stage violated the presumption of innocence under Article 19 of the 1992 Constitution.
The application, filed by her lawyers led by Garry Nimako Marfo, was opposed by the prosecution, led by Director of Public Prosecutions, Yvonne Attakora Obuobisa, who maintained that the Practice Direction was consistent with the Constitution and designed to promote fair and expeditious trials.
In her ruling, Justice Kocuvie-Tay held that the accused had not shown that “a genuine question has arisen for the matter to be referred to the Supreme Court for interpretation,” and accordingly dismissed the application.
Following the ruling, Mr Nimako said the defence would apply for the full reasons and advise their client on the next steps.
“In regard to the application for a referral having been dismissed, we will apply for the full copy of the reasons for the dismissal and advise the client as to the way forward,” he said.
He disclosed that a Notice of Appeal had already been filed against an earlier order compelling the accused to file her witness list, adding that a motion for stay of proceedings had also been filed.
Justice Kocuvie-Tay consequently stayed proceedings and adjourned the case to February 18, 2026, to consider the application for stay.
Ms Oware-Mensah has pleaded not guilty to charges including stealing, willfully causing financial loss to the state, using public office for profit and money laundering, in relation to the alleged GH¢38 million National Service ghost names scandal, and is currently on GH¢10 million bail.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
41 minutes -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
2 hours -
Baffoe-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy’ against Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
3 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
3 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
3 hours -
Police disown viral flyer on AirPods, earphones use while driving
3 hours -
Stop using media to challenge judicial decisions – Thaddeus Sory to lawyers
3 hours -
The next generation expects more than degrees from universities
3 hours -
Ebenezer Dwomoh to stage fourth stand-up comedy special in Kumasi
3 hours -
Central Regional Minister urges traditional leaders to hold public officials accountable
3 hours -
Ada Traditional Council suspends four members for defying cancellation of 2026 Asafotufiami durbar
3 hours -
Association of Small-scale Industries, GEA strengthen artisans through mentorship, coaching
3 hours -
Two arrested over alleged galamsey activities in Tanoso
3 hours -
Ghana rises to sixth-largest gold producer globally after record 2025 output
3 hours