Former President John Mahama is worried about a stance taken by President Akufo-Akufo on funding for the country.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) leader finds it morally questionable that Nana Akufo-Addo is able to urge other African leaders against begging when the country is just going for a bailout from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
During the opening of the US-Africa Leaders’ Summit in Washington DC earlier this week, the President told fellow countries on the continent to wean themselves off “begging” the West to earn global respect and change poor perceptions about the continent.
Speaking at the NDC National Delegates Congress on Saturday, John Mahama found the President’s comment laughable.
“We have a President who enjoys spouting the rhetorics of self-respect and restraint from begging western nations for support, yet he has spent the last several weeks on the telephone with western leaders asking them to beg the IMF to grant Ghana the recently announced staff-level agreement for an extended credit facility,” he told Delegates.
According to him, President Akufo-Addo has “reduced the country to a beggar nation.”
“Our dear nation has never been so put to shame and come close to being a beggar nation as we are today,” he added.
The congress will see some 9,200 delegates partake in the elections at the Accra Sports Stadium.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- Man butchered by unknown assailants at Krofrom in Ashanti Region
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- DDE could be a positive turning point for Ghana – Alhassan Andani
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue
- We need to continue pressing for information – Prof Gadzekpo urges public
- Proposals for selecting leaders of NDC Minority Caucus was ignored – Haruna Iddrisu
- Lack of affirmative action cause of lopsided nature of Parliament – Prof. Audrey Sitsofe Gadzekpo
- I can’t wait to get started – Antoine Semenyo after completing Bournemouth move
- Lynx Entertainment signees ‘BDSM’ thrill patrons at Coming Soon EP release party
- #FillGPLCenters: Aziz Haruna is not wise for blaming Hearts management on poor attendance – Sowah Odotei
- Trend of malpractices of BECE candidates since 2018
- Woman butchers male farmer over boundary dispute