All is set for the implosion of the Hong-Kong Market building that got burnt at Makola in the Central Business District of Accra.
Officers of the 48 Engineer Regiment of the Ghana Armed Forces have cordoned off the area ahead of the exercise.
Scaffolds and excavators are positioned in readiness for the demolition scheduled for today.
The exercise follows the technical team’s recommendation, which investigated the July 5, fire that the building had become weak and its integrity had been compromised.
The three-storey building will be pulled down completely as recommended by a committee tasked by the Accra Metropolitan Assembly to investigate the fire incident.
The committee found that the building had become weak and compromised.
It established that a generator set started the fire that engulfed a bigger part of the building and destroyed items worth thousands of Ghana cedis.
The committee also found that there were naked and haphazardly exposed wires in the building with bad electrical wiring, especially by unprofessional electricians, as well as the use of substandard materials.
It took fire fighting officers several days to extinguish the inferno, amid criticisms from some traders and members of the public, who were frustrated with the situation.
The Committee said, though the Ghana Water Company Limited reported of available water supply in the area, the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) said due to the low pressure of the water, they had to go to the Kwame Nkrumah Circle and adjoining areas to access water, which affected the firefighting exercise.
- Akufo-Addo was apt, Aflao chief is not supposed to give Ministers of State ultimatums – Okoe Boye
- ‘Go and sin no more’ – Court cautions evangelist for fingering, fondling woman
- Arrogance of power has taken over Akufo-Addo – Sammy Gyamfi
- Video of unknown driver driving dangerously in Accra goes viral
- We already knew that Komenda was an emotional project – Kofi Bentil
- Ghanaians would have paid more for sugar even with Komenda Sugar Factory – Kofi Bentil
- Adom TV’s ‘Big Talent Show’ gave me hope after I was wrongfully jailed for 5 years – Contestant
- 38 persons arrested for alleged assault on police officers
- It is possible Radio Gold, others may not transmit from their original frequencies – NCA
- NIA to suspend services at all 34 registration centres from Oct. 25
Police arrest driver driving dangerously in viral video
Samson’s Take: Let’s support the police
Assistant police chief claims she was told to get abortion to keep her job
Why Kenyan churches are banning politicians from pulpits
Breast cancer is not a spiritual disease – Dr Ackon
Video of unknown driver driving dangerously in Accra goes viral
Winning the Super Cup will motivate us for Premier League promotion – Skyy FC coach
DOL Super Cup: Skyy FC edge out Tema Youth in epic shoot to claim maiden title
Ibrahimovic scores at both ends as Milan edge nine-man Bologna
Guardiola believes Foden can get better after his brace against Brighton
80% of widows who turned out for Tamale screening diagnosed with hypertension
KNUST JHS wins maiden edition of Nhyira FM Akan Akansie
Ejisuman SHS embarks on Peace Walk over encroachment of school lands
It’s time to legislate on funding, executing of projects – Kofi Bentil
NIA to suspend services at all 34 registration centres from Oct. 25