Audio By Carbonatix
British boxing superstar Amir Khan has surprised the world of boxing by announcing that his next opponent will be Chris Algieri.
Khan will take on former light-welterweight world champion Algieri on May 30 at the Barclay Center in New York. But the choice of opponent is a surprise, given that Khan had been widely expected to meet either Adrien Broner or IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook.
Algieri's last outing came in November when he took on Manny Pacquiao in a disastrous bout, which saw him get knocked down six times en-route to the first defeat of his professional career.
"You can class him as an 'A' class opponent," said Khan.
"He knows how to box, he knows how to move well. He takes a decent amount of shots and he's got a decent amount of power.
"Hopefully this can lead me onto the bigger fights in the future, which we're all looking at." American Broner had been tipped to be Khan's next opponent after having tweeted a video of himself 'face timing' Khan, with the hashtag #BronerVSKhan was also tweeted by the 25-year-old.
The unbeaten Brook was another potential match-up for Khan - and Khan did confirm his intention to take on his compatriot "within 12 months" in an all-British fight at Wembley.
But Khan's opponent for May instead turned out to be Algieri, a 31-year-old former kickboxer, with the Bolton-based fighter announcing the news on his wife's YouTube channel.
-
Latest Stories
-
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
9 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
10 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
18 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
19 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
31 minutes -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
33 minutes -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
45 minutes -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
53 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
54 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
54 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
56 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
59 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
1 hour -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
1 hour