Aston Villa have signed former Liverpool and Spain goalkeeper Pepe Reina on loan from AC Milan for the rest of the season.
The World Cup winner, 37, was in the stands as Villa lost 6-1 to Manchester City on Sunday.
Villa needed to add to their goalkeeping options after England international Tom Heaton was ruled out for the remainder of the season.
The 33-year-old suffered a knee injury on 1 January.
Reina made 394 appearances for Liverpool between 2005 and 2013 before moving to Bayern Munich after a loan spell with Italian club Napoli.
Heaton’s understudy Jed Steer, who was first choice during the club’s promotion from the Championship, is also out through injury.
“We’ve managed to secure a player in Pepe who has a wealth of Premier League experience,” said Villa boss Dean Smith.
“At the start of the summer we were looking for an experienced goalkeeper and brought in Tom Heaton. Unfortunately, his injury has ruled him out for the rest of the season but Pepe fits our criteria not just because of his experience but also because of his leadership qualities.”
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- Ayew brothers dropped as Inaki Williams starts for Black Stars in Nicaragua clash
- 3rd-year Mechanical Engineering student tells story of how he begged for a plate of food
- Aisha Huang denied bail again as judge calls on judiciary to help save water bodies
- Fatawu Issahaku scores debut goal as Black Stars record narrow win over Nicaragua
- Player Ratings: Black Stars beat Nicaragua in Spain
- Luv News uncovers degradation of Tano Nimri Forest Reserve
- Pressure mounts on government to scrap SIM re-registration deadline
- Kirani Ayat calls out Akufo-Addo, Tourism Ministry after promo video featured shots from his ‘Guda’ visuals
- Samuel Boadu leaves Hearts of Oak by mutual termination
- Ghana maintains highest interest, lending rates position in Africa
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, September 28, 2022
- The future of finance: regulatory insights from 2 fintech reports
- SSNIT pension scheme continues to post negative return on investments; records -12.6% return in quarter 1 – Report
- Fetish priest sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for defrauding with fake currency
- Man gets 8 years for hacking cousin he accused of stealing fish from soup
- Reach out, show love and compassion to the needy – KABAKA Foundation chairman urges
- Over 1000 children at Tepa enjoy free NHIS registration
- Ghana needs support of Diasporan community to advance industrialisation – Alan Kyerematen
- NDC dissociates itself from Akufo-Addo’s booing; says incident reflects mood of Ghanaians
- Four envoys present credentials to President Akufo-Addo
- We are receiving threats of contract termination – School Feeding Caterers
- IMF sounds alarm on UK tax cut plans
- Malawi’s John Chilembwe gets statue in London’s Trafalgar Square
- Medical and Dental Council’s directive only applies to students who are yet to graduate – Dr. Banyubala