Audio By Carbonatix
Australia registered no new local Covid-19 cases on Saturday for the first time since June 9, marking a major milestone in the country's battle against the deadly virus.
The apparent turning point comes just months after Victoria declared a "state of disaster" to stem an outbreak that saw as many as 725 people in a single day test positive for the virus in the Southeastern state.
"The 1st national zero community transmission day since June 9," Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Twitter on Sunday." Thank you to all of our amazing health & public health workers & above all else the Australian people."
Advice just in from the National Incident Centre - Zero community transmission cases today Australia wide- the 1st national zero community transmission day since June 9. Thankyou to all of our amazing health & public health workers & above all else the Australian people.
— Greg Hunt (@GregHuntMP) November 1, 2020
Meanwhile, Melbourne, the city at the epicenter of Australia's coronavirus epidemic, marked its second consecutive day without any locally transmitted cases. Since ending its strict 112-day lockdown on Tuesday, the city of 5 million has registered only seven new local Covid-19 cases.
Though Victoria, of which Melbourne is the capital, accounts for at least 20,300 of Australia's more than 27,500 coronavirus cases, the number of active cases in the state has steadily declined in the past 30 days.
Prior to Sunday's announcement, the number of new infections in Victoria had been in single digits since October 13. In early August, Victoria was recording hundreds of cases per day, leading state authorities to implement the type of strict anti-epidemic measures that governments in Western Europe and the United States have been hesitant to enact out of fear of damaging the economy.
This included placing Melbourne residents under a strict seven-week lockdown and barring nearly all trips outdoors. The federal government also closed the state's borders to non-essential travel.
Though the decision to lockdown Melbourne was unpopular with some people, by late September, cases had declined to low double-digits, allowing the government to begin lifting restrictions. Authorities in the state have said they would consider lifting more restrictions if trends continue in the right direction.
Latest Stories
-
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
21 minutes -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
28 minutes -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
30 minutes -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
40 minutes -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
48 minutes -
Photos: EPA busts 14 containers of illegal mining machines at Tema Port
54 minutes -
Harmonious Chorale to represent Africa in Poland and Sweden as it kicks off 20th-anniversary celebrations
54 minutes -
We can’t wait forever for AfCFTA – AGI demands alternative regional trade access
58 minutes -
The Drama of Cocoa politics: When farmers become puppets
58 minutes -
CSIR-BRRI advocates use of local materials in production to reduce cement prices
1 hour -
Three miners killed in rock collapse at Gbane
1 hour -
Awudome, Osu cemeteries not full — Managers
1 hour -
Africa’s grand stage of honour: Why Ghana hosts POTY 2026
2 hours -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
2 hours -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
2 hours
