An outbreak of Avian Influenza has hit the Bono Region, infecting more than 9,470 birds since last Thursday, January 13, 2022.
Dr. Donald Joachim Darko, the Bono Regional Director of the Veterinary Services told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in an interview in Sunyani, that the outbreak was detected in only two farms. He disclosed that 780 crates of eggs were also affected.
He said the affected farms have been barricaded to ward-off people and called on the public to remain calm as measures are put in place to control further spread.
“We have barricaded these farms from encroachment to prevent further spread and destroyed all the affected birds and eggs as well”, Dr. Darko stated.
He said the infection could be transported from the Ashanti region or imported from the Ashanti region or neighbouring Cote D’Ivoire and advised poultry farmers in the region to be watchful and report any abnormalities in their farms to the service.
Dr. Darko said his outfit has also intensified public education on influenza and advised the public to also remain watchful as well.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Agyinasare says he has no intention to cast a slur on Nogokpo and Voltarians
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- Akufo-Addo to address nation on Covid-19 fight, IMF deal tonight
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- Ashanti Region Super Zonals: OKESS and St. Louis triumph as T.I Ahmadiyya lose top spots
- Fitch Solutions maintains 2.9% growth rate forecast for Ghana 2023
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Review of flagship programmes: Let’s not touch Free SHS – Kwame Pianim
- Joseph Paintsil scores brace as Genk cruise past Club Brugge
- Turkish election victory for Erdogan leaves nation divided
- Lawrence Agyekum & Forson Amankwah win Austrian league title with Red Bull Salzburg
- World Bank releases additional $150m for Odaw Basin flood control
- Amedzorfe chief Okusie Akyem Foli V laid to rest
- GPL: ‘We are out’ – Paa Kwesi Fabin says Aduana cannot win title
- Virtual InfoSec builds Bank of Ghana’s state-of-the-art cybersecurity centre
- Yhaw Hero back with new song ‘Cold War’
- Today’s front pages: Monday, May 29, 2023
- Reality zone with Vicky Wireko: ECG’s revenue mobilisation drive: simply the best
- DreamChild Foundation poised for exciting HoodTalk Music Festival