Barcelona have ”‹confirmed that key defender Javier Mascherano will sign his new three-year contract at the club's offices on Monday afternoon.
The Catalan giants initially announced the agreement of the new deal – that will run to the end of the 2018/19 season – back in July, coming at a the time when the player had just been heavily linked with a summer move to Juventus.
Mascherano, who joined Barcelona from Liverpool in 2007 after first making the switch to Europe from South American when he signed for West Ham, will now remain at Camp Nou beyond his 35th birthday.
The former Argentina national team captain has never played fewer than 40 games in all competitions in any of his six seasons – prior to 2016/17 – in which he's been a Barça player.
During those years, Mascherano has made the successful transition from central midfield to the centre of defence and has collected four La Liga titles, three Copa del Rey medals, two Champions Leagues and two FIFA Club World Cups.
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- Black Sherif’s ‘Oh Paradise’ about late girlfriend gets fans emotional
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Black Sherif didn’t lose BET, his nomination is a win – Reggie Rockstone
- Bawumia dances to ‘Buga’ song to mark 59th birthday
- Ellembelle District receives school infrastructure project from Eni Ghana and Partners
- Coachella files copyright infringement lawsuit against Afrochella
- We failed to deal with local triggers of inflation before Russia-Ukraine war – Prof. Bokpin
- Ghana Music Awards UK comes off on October 29
- Samira Bawumia celebrates husband on 59th birthday
- Laboratory scientists call for establishment of public health emergency preparedness fund
- It cost ₵200k to produce ‘Run For Your Wife’ play – George Quaye
- Halt PPP arrangement for a laboratory facility – Medical Laboratory Professionals tell government
- Nima Dreams: A documentary about how lack of infrastructure is affecting talent growth
- Opanin Kwadwo Taah (Alias Papa J. K.)
- Submit report on persons responsible for infractions in Auditor-General’s report – Akufo-Addo charges SIGA, A-G
- Gerald Akwasi Koranteng
- Criticism that BoG was too slow in dealing with inflation is unfair – Economist
- Stonebwoy to feature Kenya’s Khaligraph Jones in new single