Audio By Carbonatix
The Chairman of the National Election Committee of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), Peter Mac Manu has warned that the party will not countenance any acts of bribery and vote-buying in its upcoming national executive election.
According to him, such acts undermine the country's constitutional democracy and therefore, his outfit will take steps to prevent its occurrence.
Addressing a press conference on Wednesday, Mr Mac Manu said the Party's leadership has consequently arranged with the Police to ensure that the Conference is devoid of any happenings that could mar the process.
"All aspirants and or their agents are therefore warned not to engage in any untoward behaviour that can be interpreted as bribery within the meaning of the Representative of People's Law 1992, PNDC Law 284, which are serious criminal offences.
The National Election Committee has therefore engaged the Ghana Police Service whose officers will be on the election grounds to strictly enforce the laws and arrest anyone found to be in the breach of PNDC law 284. There's a law in this country that covers bribery and we're going to enforce it", he cautioned.
In recent times, internal elections across the two leading political parties in the country, have been characterised by widespread incidents of vote buying and bribery.
In a bid to win their respective portfolios, some aspirants woo delegates with enticing gestures. These include cooking utensils, electrical appliances and cash tokens.
This sometimes results in situations, where the highest bidder emerges victorious at the end of the polls.
This practice has been widely condemned by many stakeholders; and at the NPP's press conference in Accra yesterday, Mr Peter Mac Manu also emphasised that, "we're using your medium to tell Ghana and the world that we're not going to entertain any acts of bribery in our internal elections".
Meanwhile, aspirants who have been cleared to contest in the party's national elections in July, are busily embarking on field campaigns and media engagements to convince electorates.
From the mounting of imposing billboards to the hoisting of colourful banners, the qualified aspirants are bent on forming the next crop of executives to lead the party into the 2024 polls.
But amidst the euphoria, a National Chairman aspirant, Nii Ayikoi Otoo, has withdrawn from the contest.
The former High Commissioner and Attorney-General had earlier pledged to respond to the needs of party faithfuls, if he won the race.
But speaking ahead of the NPP’s National Delegates Conference to be held on July 16, Mr Peter Mac Manu announced that Mr Otoo has withdrawn his candidature.
According to Mr. Mac Manu, the former A-G made this known in a letter on Monday, July 4, 2022.
“Three prospective aspirants for the positions of National Organizer, National Women’s Organizer and National Youth Organizer; Dr. Kwame Afriyie, Akosua Serwaa Bonsu and Tumfuo Klinsman Karikari Mensah respectively have also rescinded their decisions to contest.
As a result of the diligence of the National Election Committee, no appeals against the nominations of any prospective aspirants were recorded by the National Appeals Committee.
Ayiko Otoo who was vying for the position of National Chairman of the party has, however, since withdrawn from the race", he said on Wednesday.
Latest Stories
-
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
16 minutes -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
23 minutes -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
26 minutes -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
33 minutes -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
44 minutes -
CSOs will bring new dimensions to OSP constitutionality case – Justice Abdulai
47 minutes -
Ghana’s pubic debt hits GH¢674.1bn as of February 2026
51 minutes -
Mamprugu king accuses security agencies of abuse, demands justice over death of Mamprusi youth
1 hour -
Ghana has not exited IMF, PCI is a new three-year deal – Oppong Nkrumah
1 hour -
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
2 hours -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
2 hours -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
2 hours -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther FĂĽrth ahead of 2026/27 season
2 hours -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
2 hours