Audio By Carbonatix
Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has confirmed that Cabinet has approved Ghana’s participation in a third-country deportation arrangement with the United States, involving the acceptance of some West African deportees.
Speaking at the Government Accountability Series on Monday, September 15, Mr. Ablakwa explained that the current arrangement is only a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and not a binding treaty.
“Let me emphasise that under this understanding with the United States, Ghana must first independently vet the background of those the U.S. intends to deport, to satisfy ourselves that they do not pose any threat to the security of our country and that they cannot harm our citizens,” he said.
He stressed that strict safeguards have been put in place to ensure that hardened criminals are not admitted into the country, adding, “The Mahama administration would never compromise the safety and well-being of Ghanaians.”
According to the Minister, the decision was thoroughly discussed by Cabinet and vetted by the Attorney General before approval.
“By established convention, MoUs are not sent to Parliament for ratification. I have inherited hundreds of MoUs from the previous administration, which were not sent to Parliament for ratification. May I assure the nation that if this initial understanding is elevated into a full-blown agreement, we shall not hesitate to comply with Article 75 of the 1992 Constitution by proceeding to Parliament for ratification,” he clarified.
His comments come in response to concerns raised by the Minority in Parliament, which over the weekend demanded the suspension of what it described as an unconstitutional deal.
President John Dramani Mahama had earlier confirmed that Ghana had accepted a limited number of West African nationals deported from the U.S., citing humanitarian considerations and Ghana’s Pan-African values.
He revealed that the first batch of 14 deportees, including Nigerians and Gambians, had arrived in Accra and were later assisted to return to their home countries.
“The government of Ghana took the principled and humanitarian decision to accept the limited number of West African nationals deported from the United States under exceptional circumstances, in line with Ghana’s long-standing Pan-African ideals and unwavering commitment to regional solidarity,” President Mahama stated.
Mr. Ablakwa stressed that Ghana had not received and would not seek any financial or material benefit in return for its cooperation.
“Our decision is grounded purely on humanitarian principles and Pan-African solidarity to offer temporary refuge where needed, to prevent further human suffering, and to maintain our credibility as a responsible regional actor. Ghana’s decision must be understood as an act of Pan-African empathy. It is not transactional like Rwanda, Eswatini, Uganda, or South Sudan,” he said.
He clarified that the arrangement should not be seen as an endorsement of U.S. immigration policies under President Donald Trump.
“Since the days of our forebears, Ghana has hosted freedom fighters, welcomed Africans in the diaspora, offered them safe haven, resources, citizenship, and even passports. That is why we are seen as the maker of Pan-Africanism. We shall not depart from that inspiring track record,” he added.
On other matters, Mr. Ablakwa highlighted progress made under the government’s Operation Retrieve and Account for Lands (ORAL) initiative at the Foreign Affairs Ministry.
He said the policy had reclaimed state lands at the Airport Residential Area, stopped the illegal sale of diplomatic properties in Lagos and Lusaka, and cancelled improperly awarded contracts, including a $3.5 million renovation deal in Abidjan.
He further noted that strict procurement rules are now in place to ensure transparency and value for money.
“Every single contract has gone through a competitive, credible process — from passport courier services to cleaning contracts. Competitive procurement is now the mainstay,” he said.
Mr. Ablakwa added that ORAL had gained international support, citing President Mahama’s recent visit to Singapore, where a bilateral framework was agreed to help strengthen Ghana’s anti-corruption institutions, including EOCO, CHRAJ, OSP, and the Police CID.
Latest Stories
-
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
20 minutes -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
38 minutes -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
60 minutes -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
2 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
2 hours -
UBIDS to Complete Abandoned Projects Following GETFund Financial Clearance – Vice Chancellor
2 hours -
Nii Moi Thompson questions Anokye Frimpong’s ‘distorted history’ narratives
3 hours -
Anthony O’Neal set to receive Ghanaian citizenship, prepares to launch ‘Class on the Bus’ Initiative
3 hours -
South Tongu MP inspects GH₵500,000 surgical equipment, supports District Court with logistics
4 hours -
Kpasec 2003 Year Group hosts garden party to rekindle bonds and inspire legacy giving
6 hours -
Financing barriers slowing microgrid expansion in Ghana -Energy Minister
6 hours -
Ghana’s Ambassador to Italy Mona Quartey presents Letters of Credence to Pres. Mattarella
6 hours -
KOSA 2003 Year Group unveils GH¢10m classroom project at fundraising event
6 hours
