Charges have been dropped against a Nigerian student who was arrested over a tweet in which he allegedly accused the first lady of misusing public money.
The authorities had accused Aminu Adamu of defamation and spreading “false” information, which he denied.
His lawyer Chijioke Kingsley Agu told the BBC the charge at a high court in Abuja had been withdrawn by the prosecution on Friday.
Mr Agu said his client has been discharged on “compassionate grounds” and that they were “in the process of his release” on Friday evening.
The arrest and the subsequent charge against the 24-year-old undergraduate had sparked outrage in Nigeria with many social media users and rights campaigners calling for his immediate release.
On Thursday, Amnesty International said the student was subjected to “torture” and other forms of “ill-treatment” after his arrest, calling it a “deeply repressive act” that “brazenly violates his human rights”.
Nigerian authorities have not yet commented on these allegations.
He is studying Environmental Management at the Federal University in Dutse, in the northern state of Jigawa, and is due to start his final exams on Monday.
- Christian Atsu: Hatayspor official says there was mistaken identity, player still not found
- Turkey Earthquakes: Christian Atsu can’t be located 24 hours after rescue – Family
- Death of Gospel musician’s brother: Pathologist cites asphyxiation, obstruction of airway by foreign body as cause of death
- Tema Motorway is gone; apply common sense when driving – Expert tells drivers
- Government forcing banks to coerce customers to accept DDEP – Senyo Hosi
- We’ll not allow the Judiciary to be used to intimidate Ablakwa from carrying out mandate – Minority
- Funke Akindele loses mom
- Domestic Debt Exchange: We’ve achieved more than 50% of participation – Deputy Finance Minister
- Filling vacancies in government is no reshuffle – Prof Gyampo to Akufo-Addo
- Turkey-Syria earthquake: Newborn baby pulled from collapsed building
- Full text: A-G protests Auditor-General’s publication of Covid-19 expenditure report
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: Sex in hell; the day I slept with a ghost
- A-G asks Auditor-General to unpublish ‘premature’ Covid-19 Audit Report
- Kojo Antwi and family to hold 40 days observance for late father
- Livestream: One-on-one with Dr Ato Forson on PM Express
- Medikal, Quamina MP & Yaw TOG join TsaQa on Accra Fanfooler remix
- Enchi: 14 persons arrested over disturbance at NPP constituency elections
- I had a child out of wedlock after 20 years of marriage; my wife never left – Couple shares love journey
- All the newly appointed ministers are competent – Asiedu Kokuro
- NEDCo staff want Managing Director out
- Daniel Kwabena Owusu: Driving inclusive economic growth through the Africa digital economy
- UK property register: What 3 luxury homes reveal about who owns UK real estate
- Persons who collapse during sex have underlying medical conditions – Dr. Osarfo
- AngloGold Ashanti holds 2nd edition of “Start Right, End Well” mentorship programme
- ‘We cannot discard these utterances as vain talk’ – NPP reacts to Suame NDC Youth Organiser