Audio By Carbonatix
The New York Stock Exchange has begun delisting three Chinese telecom companies after an executive order from US President Donald Trump in October.
China said Saturday that it would take necessary countermeasures after the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) began delisting securities of three Chinese telecommunications companies.
The NYSE announced earlier this week that it would halt the trading in shares of China Mobile Ltd., China Unicom Hong Kong Ltd. and China Telecom Corp Ltd. by January 11.
The stock exchange said it took the decision because of an executive order from US President Donald Trump that barred Americans from investing in firms with ties to the Chinese military.
The move has further strained ties between Washington and Beijing, who have butted heads over trade and the coronavirus pandemic during Trump's time in the White House.
What was China's response?
A Chinese Commerce Ministry spokesperson said in a statement that the NYSE delisting will "greatly weaken all parties' confidence in the US capital market."
The ministry said the decision to delist the three telecom firms was an abuse of national security and inconsistent with market rules.
China "will take the necessary countermeasures to resolutely safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies," the ministry spokesperson said, without naming specifics.
Will the NYSE delisting affect the Chinese firms?
All three telco companies are state-run enterprises that operate under Beijing's firm control. They are the only three companies in China that are allowed to provide broad telecommunication services, an industry the government believes should remain under state control.
Losing their listing will unlikely have much of an effect on the firms. Beside state funds, the three companies can still attract international investment by selling shares in Hong Kong.
But the delisting is another tie severed between the world's two biggest economies. The Trump administration has already blacklisted electronics giant Huawei and has fought to ban the social media platform TikTok.
In December, US Congress passed a bill that would close American markets to Chinese firms that don't comply with US oversight or financial audits.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
32 minutes -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
42 minutes -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
53 minutes -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
1 hour -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
1 hour -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
1 hour -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
2 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
2 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
2 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
2 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
2 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
3 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
3 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
3 hours
