Footballer Christian Atsu has been found dead under the rubble of his home almost two weeks after the Turkey earthquake, his agent has confirmed.
The Ghana international, 31, had spells with Premier League sides Everton, Chelsea and Newcastle.
Atsu had been missing since the 6 February quake that caused the collapse of his apartment in Antakya, Hatay.
“There are no words to describe our sadness,” tweeted his Turkish top-flight club Hatayspor.
“We will not forget you, Atsu. Peace be upon you, beautiful person.”
In the aftermath of the quake, Hatayspor initially reported Atsu had been rescued “with injuries”, but a day later that position changed.
His agent Nana Sechere, who has been in Hatay, confirmed the news on Saturday on Twitter, writing: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning.
“My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.”
Atsu joined Hatayspor in September 2022 after a season with Saudi Arabian team Al-Raed and scored the winning goal in a Super Lig match on 5 February.
He won 65 caps for Ghana and helped his country reach the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations final where they lost to Ivory Coast on penalties. Atsu was later named player of the tournament.
He joined Chelsea from Porto in 2013 and had several loan spells at clubs including Everton and Bournemouth.
An initial loan spell at Newcastle in 2016, in which he helped the team win promotion from the Championship to the Premier League, was made permanent in 2017.
“We are profoundly saddened to learn that Christian Atsu has tragically lost his life in Turkey’s devastating earthquakes,” Newcastle said in a tweet.
“A talented player and a special person, he will always be fondly remembered by our players, staff and supporters.”
Everton said they were “deeply saddened” by the news, while Chelsea said they were “devastated”.
The earthquake and aftershocks in southern Turkey and northern Syria are known to have killed more than 40,000 people.
Credit: The BBC
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- ‘Do I look like a fraudster?’ – Shatta Wale reacts to calls for FBI probe over his affiliation with Hajia4Reall
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- I paid GH₵30,000 to fix my body – TikToker Aba Dope
- Gyakye Quayson to contest Assin North seat again in June 27 by-election
- Gyakye Quayson can vie for Assin North seat; it’s a calculated risk – Amaliba
- 7 reported dead, several others injured in renewed Gonja – Mamprusi clash
- ‘It’s disappointing’ – Bofoakwa Tano coach on not being able to lead the team in Ghana Premier League
- Assin North by-election: NPP closes nomination as two persons pick forms
- Two villages in North Gonja burnt down in renewed violence between Mamprusi and Gonja
- Chiefs endorsing candidates and political parties unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Ketu North: Re-run parliamentary primary to avert apathy – Group to NDC
- 3-year IMF deal not enough – Finance Expert
- ECG intensifies revenue mobilisation exercise in Volta and Oti Regions
- Nigeria MPs want $25bn spent to fix refineries probed
- ‘I will do everything for Treble’ – Erling Haaland
- Referee Anthony Taylor attacked by Roma fans [VIDEO]
- World Hunger Day: Government urged to encourage science, technology and innovation in agriculture
- Today’s front pages: Friday, June 2, 2023
- World Bank: Ghana likely to receive first tranche of $300 million by September if … – Frank Laporte
- Man slashes wife for asking for divorce
- How gun violence is reshaping American lives
- Police arrest three persons, pursuing others in connection with attacks on Mempeasem and Lukula communities in Savannah region
- Hohoe Astroturf stadium 85% complete – Site Manager
- Hypertension in pregnancy could lead to premature delivery